TIRES AND SHOCKS

1991 Lexus LS 400

sj.clarks

April, 24, 2008 AT 3:09 PM

Suspension problem
1991 Lexus LS 400 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

This is an older car but has been very well maintained. The model comes with a ride height adjustment feature for normal height or high ride height for poor road conditions. I noticed tire noise and had it put up on lifts to see what was happening. The rear tires are feathering and I am pretty sure that the back shocks are shot but the front tires are cupping. The front suspension is an air shock and was on normal height. If the rear shocks are bad will the ride height adjustment cause a problem with the tires in the front? The height adjustment seems to work.

Rear End Noise

1 IMAGE

blackop555

April, 24, 2008 AT 5:14 PM

Yes the shocks that are bad in the back can affect the front wheels by causing poor stability.

Check the tires and have them rebalanced and the front end alight after the shocks are replaced, and you should be good to go.

sj.clarks

April, 28, 2008 AT 4:46 PM

In response to this information I contacted a local repair facility who indicates that the problem is related to struts. I dont mind saying I dont know the difference between a shock and a strut. Is a strut just a fancy shock or is he overselling me.

blackop555

April, 28, 2008 AT 5:06 PM

Struts are the shock and coil spring assembly, if you look at the front end of your tire right above it you will see a coil spring and a long metal tube that goes down to the wheel all the way up to under the hood, that is the strut.

Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Replace Tie Rod End
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars