2005 LEXUS ES 330 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

• Greenbng
  • 2005 LEXUS ES 330

2005 Lexus ES 330 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 16200 miles

I just had the 15,000 mile service performed on this vehicle at the dealership about 5 weeks ago. They told me that everything was working well wth no problems. Two days ago my "check engine" light came on and will not go off. The dealership wants $115.00 just to look at the vehicle. Is this a problem that I can resolve on my own? The only two things that I can think of that might have contributed to this issue are:

1. I usually use mid-grade gasoline, but last week I filled up with regular instead.

2. The night before this happened, I was in bumper to bumper traffic for 2.5 hours with the AC on high.

Please help. Thank you.

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 6:32 AM

• Jack42

Neither one of those should set a light. Did you get the gas cap back on tight when you filled up? That will set a light. You can have the code read at another shop, the dealer isnt necessary, especially at that price. Call around and find the least expensive and just have them read and clear the code. Get back with the code they pull and we will figure it out

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
  • Greenbng

Thank you for your response. How much should it typically cost to have the code read and cleared? Is this something that I can do myself by renting or purchasing a diagnostic tool?

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 11:06 AM
  • Jack42

Sorry for the slow response. You can purchase an inexpensive reader, which will most likely be about the same as a scan will cost and if you plan on keeping the vehicle, it will pay for itself in no time

Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 7:46 AM