KNOCKING NOISE LEFT FRONT END FEEL IT IN STEERING COLLUMN.

• Pcope3
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER

Vibration, knocking noise that is real noticeable at lower speeds at higher speeds noise not as bad but can still feel knock in steering collumn. Seems like from left front. Tie rod? Wheel bearing? CV joint? Steering is tight no play. Help if you can.

Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 6:56 PM

• Racefan966

I would jack up the side you think is making the noise and check for a loose tie rod or wheel bearing.

Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 8:34 PM
  • Pcope3

Thank you. This is the direction we were heading, but thought needed jack/ lift front end up. Did not think to just jack the left side. Also, do we pull the wheel of

Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 11:57 PM
  • Racefan966

To check for bearing play no real need to just try to move the tire from left to right while watching the tie rod and then if that looks good then try to see if there is up to down movement to check for bearing play there should be none. Let me know what you find and we will go from there ok.

Saturday, June 15th, 2013 AT 6:48 AM
  • Pcope3

A friend ex mechanic for local dealer drove it this afternoon. His opinion is needs rack and pinion. Poss still a wheel bearing also. I' m gonna price the part tomorrow. Any place better than others to order? We have Car Quest, Napa, O Riley' s, Advanced Auto?

Sunday, June 16th, 2013 AT 7:09 PM
  • Racefan966

I would use napa or carquest both should be lifetime warranty on the rack unit. Let me know what else I can do if needed. Thanks

Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 7:47 AM
  • Pcope3

I know manager of a local Car quest. Ordered rack unit and two tie rod ends( outer) was told inner in the complete unit. Total about $156. What is an estimate in your open
to installed?

Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 6:06 PM
  • Racefan966

I would say it take a shop about 2 to 3 hours to do then align it.

Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 9:18 PM