Knock sensor

LEOPARDLOVE
  • 2002 NISSAN XTERRA
My car turned off on me while I was very low on gas so I automatically assumed I ran out, but I still had well enough to get to a gas station. So I filled up and it would not start. I tried a jump start thinking it could be the battery, but the lights and everything seemed to work so I do not think it was the battery. It did not start with jump. My oil was pretty bad so thought that could be the problem, changed oil and filter, still no turn over just makes a "wants to start " noise. Hooked a diognostic machine. Says it is a knock sensor.
Tried to do some research and seems there may be some doubts from other people with same car whether this is in fact the problem. What might be another possibility? Please
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 8:38 PM

Your observation about the battery is correct, at least for now, and until testing points to it later.

Your assumption about the oil is not correct. The starting system has no idea of the oil's condition. They do not talk with each other!

There is a clinker in your thinker about the knock sensor. First of all, that circuit wont prevent the engine from cranking or from running. Second, diagnostic fault codes never say to replace a part or that one is bad. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. When a part is referenced in a fault code, that part is actually the cause of that code about half of the time. First we have to rule out wiring, connector terminal, and mechanical problems associated with that part.

The next problem is I really do not know what the symptom is or which system we need to look at. You said the engine stalled while it was running. That suggests a running problem. I do not know what a "wants to start" noise sounds like, so we could be talking about a starting system problem. Clarify whether the starter is cranking the engine at normal speed, or if not, exactly what kind of noise you are hearing.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 8:54 PM
LEOPARDLOVE
Usually when it has been the battery, when trying to start it, it makes a clicking noise. This noise sounds pretty much how it sounds. When you actually turn on a car but just not quite enough juice.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:04 PM
JIS001
So the engine cranks over slow? Or does it just make one click sound when you turn the key to the run position?
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:21 PM
LEOPARDLOVE
Definitely cranks over slowly.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:23 PM
SATURNTECH9
When you tried to jump start it what happened? Your alternator might have stopped charging.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 9:55 PM
LEOPARDLOVE
Nothing different when I tried to jump start it, same.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 10:12 PM
SATURNTECH9
Have you had the battery tested yet? If a battery is too far gone can make it difficult to jump start even.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 10:25 PM
LEOPARDLOVE
Nope, I guess that is what I will check next. Thank you very much.
Friday, November 4th, 2016 AT 11:03 PM
SATURNTECH9
Yeah make sure we have a good fully charged battery then let's see what happens.
Saturday, November 5th, 2016 AT 7:42 AM
JOHNNY G.JR
Fully charge battery on slow charge over night, then take it to the auto parts store and have it load tested, usually for free. If all is good test cables and starter next. Post results
Sunday, November 6th, 2016 AT 6:20 PM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Monday, November 7th, 2016 AT 9:29 AM