SPORTAGE TIMING CHAIN

1998 Kia

bubbles4u2c

March, 20, 2006 AT 10:02 AM

I have been told that my timing chain has broken but in order to fix it I have to replace the motor because when a timing chain goes out you have to replace the motor? Is this true? We were driving it when it broke.

vandragon

March, 20, 2006 AT 2:31 PM

I'm sure that your car does not have a timing chain. It has a timing belt instead! If you were running down the expressway when it happened, or just driving fast, it could have warped some valves, possible pistion damage. The timing belt doesn't cost much and would be worth a try first. If it is repalced and the engine starts and runs fine then no damage. Please get a second opinion, or call around best of luck. Vandragon

jlorraine1983

May, 10, 2006 AT 2:25 PM

I just purchased a timing belt and it was $68. That's not the tricky part though. It's finding a timing diagram to get the timing on track.

bubbles4u2c

September, 2, 2006 AT 2:37 PM

How do I go about finding a diagram for replacing the timing belt? Anyone know?I have checked with my local auto stores and they don't carry any books for kia sportage.

repomansaints

October, 17, 2007 AT 11:14 PM

If u still need help I have a 98 sportage and just replaced my timing belt, its pretty easy, if I were you i'd replace the waterpump and belts while your at it, it took me about 4 hours and a 6pack of coronas to replace everything, I got a diagram from somewhere here on the net, I have it saved somewhere if you need it hit me up and i'll look for it

krichard1973

November, 19, 2007 AT 3:18 PM

Does anyone have the diagram to replace the timing belt? I have a 2000 Sportage

stewdaddy76

December, 16, 2007 AT 1:00 PM

Www. Kiatechinfo. Com, log in and this should help

Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX