VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR

2001 Kia Optima

Shayne216

July, 8, 2010 AT 8:11 AM

2001 Kia Optima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

I recently purchased a vehicle speed sensor for my transmission and I would like step by step instructions on how to install it. I do not want to pay for a mechanic to come and change it when the job only takes about 25 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bluelightnin6

July, 8, 2010 AT 1:53 PM

Raise the vehicle onto jack stands. If your vehicle sits very low to the ground, jack it up onto jack stands. Use the front jack point behind the radiator to raise the vehicle up. Place jacks stands underneath the front pinch welds and lower the vehicle onto the stands.

Climb under the vehicle and locate the speed sensor. The sensor is located on the bottom of the transmission, or it may be located on either side of the transmission housing. It looks like a small plug sticking out of the transmission with an electrical plug connected to its end.

Remove the electrical plug by squeezing the release tab on the top of the plug and pulling the connection apart.

Remove the sensor by turning it counterclockwise with an open-end or a crescent wrench.

Install the new speed sensor. Installation is the reverse of removal.

VSS Sensor Replacement Video