Ignition lock switch replacement instructions please?

MIKE730@GMAIL.COM
  • 2013 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I changed the battery in my car. I didn't drive it for 7 days. I went to drive the car today and when I put the key in the ignition the key did not turn. I thought something was wrong with the chip so I went to dealership and had them cut me another key. The new key opens the door to the car but when I put it in the ignition the key does not turn.
Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 AT 6:37 PM

KASEKENNY1
Sounds like the ignition switch is just stuck. Here is a guide that will help with this. I would start with lubricating it as shown and then replace it if this doesn't work.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ignition-switch-wont-turn-stuck

Below is the process on how to replace the cylinder if this does not work.

Let us know if you have questions. Thanks
+1
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 6:33 AM
LDONOVAN516
  • 2009 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Key won't turn remote start turns on lights and unlocks and locks car. But doesn't start car. Problem has been intermittent.
-1
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:08 AM (Merged)
HAGERTP
It sounds like the ignition key and tumbler are worn out here is a how you can replace the unit. Get the replacement from the dealer give them your VIN so they can program it for you before you install it. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
-1
MANNIE8892
  • 2008 CHEVROLET IMPALA
We had a mechanic take a look at it and he suggested it was a starter. So we bought a new one he installed it work for a little bit, but the next day the same thing happened again. He looked at it again put a new ignition switch work for a little bit but the next day same thing the only way it turns is if we give it a jump but next time I try to turn it back on it won't let me. Mechanic suggested we have a locksmith take a look at it but I do not trust him anymore and we have spent too much money on him for nothing. A week before all this happened my stereo was stolen and was yanked pretty good so don't know if this has anything to do with it.
KEN

This sounds like the shift cable is worn causing the issue but to be sure can you move the gear selector to neutral to see if it starts? If so here are the directions to help you change out the shift cable. This will make the key stick in the ignition as well. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
BRANDONE2010
  • 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Had a broken key extracted, but car would not start neither would my dash lights or anything come on after. I pulled out my ignition cylinder but noticed the tumblers inside the cylinder were gone. Is this my reason for the the car not getting power?
SCGRANTURISMO

Yes. If the tumblers are missing from the inside of your vehicle's ignition lock cylinder, the key will probably just spin aimlessly inside the lock cylinder. The ignition switch usually works by the key pushing a plastic arm that pushes a metal arm in the ignition switch. If you replace the keys with the lock cylinder, they will have to programmed to the Theft Deterrent Module (TDM)/Engine Control Module (ECM). There are only two places that can do this for you, the dealership or a locksmith. In the diagrams down below I have included the diagrams down below the step by step guide from the vehicle manufacturer for the removal and installation of the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder. Please go through this guide and get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
BRANDONE2010
Now the only thing that was removed was the lock cylinder. So I should be able to replace the lock cylinder and get a new key programmed and be good to go right?
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

Yes. I included the directions for the ignition switch also, just in case, and there were no separate directions for just the lock cylinder, that was included in the directions for replacing the ignition switch. Just follow the directions until you come to the ignition lock cylinder and go from there. Please keep us informed as to your progress, or feel free to ask should you need any help or have any other questions.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
BRANDONE2010
Well thanks. Come to find out my car wasn t getting any power from the ignition because of a broken fuse.
SCGRANTURISMO
Hello again,

I am glad that you got your vehicle fixed. I don't have your vehicle in front of me, and can only diagnose the problem with the information that is given to me. Again, I truely am happy you got your vehicle running again.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:09 AM (Merged)
DENNIS CAREY
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I am changing the ignition switch on my car not sure how to get the part out where the key goes I am at the point where I have old switch out of dash the only wires not unhooked are at the top of switch not sure whether these unhook or they are part of the key aassembly and does ket assembly simply pull out
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:10 AM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disable the SIR (air bag) system.
3. Locate the bolts that secure the steering column jacket assembly to the instrument panel subframe. The column will tend to drop towards the seat as the bolts are loosened. Use care handling the column. In many cases, simply lowering the column allows enough room for service work.
4. If it is necessary to remove the column from the vehicle, at the bottom of the column, remove the pinch bolt from the intermediate steering shaft assembly universal joint. The intermediate steering shaft is the shaft that goes through the floor/cowl, connecting the steering column to the rack and pinion steering gear assembly. Carefully work the column free of the intermediate steering shaft joint and remove the column from the vehicle.

WARNING
Once the steering column is removed from the vehicle, the column is extremely susceptible to damage. Handle the column carefully.

5. If it was necessary to remove the column from the vehicle, secure the steering column so it won't be damaged. Never place the column directly in a vise. GM recommends their holding fixture which is basically just a piece of steel angle. One end of the angle is clamped in the vise. The column then bolts to the other angle, using the column's original mounting bracket. A similar holding tool could be shop-made.
6. If the column is still in the vehicle, and if necessary, the tilt lever can be removed. The tilt lever simply snaps in place. Carefully rock the lever back and forth while pulling it from the steering column
7. Remove the two screws from the lower shroud and remove the lower shroud. It may be helpful to tilt the shroud down and slide it back to disengage the locking tabs.
8. Locate and remove the two screws retaining the upper shroud. If the column is still in the vehicle, the upper shroud likely won't remove all the way since the plastic shroud surrounds the lock cylinder. Just lift the upper shroud enough to gain access to the lock cylinder release hole.
9. Remove the lock cylinder using the following procedure:
A. If the column is still in the vehicle, verify that the negative battery cable has been disconnected.
B. Hold the key in the START position.
C. Using a 1 / 16 inch Allen wrench push down on the lock cylinder retaining pin.
D. Release the key to the RUN position and pull the steering column lock cylinder set from the lock module assembly.

To install:

1. Position the upper shroud and steering column lock cylinder set observing the following:
A. Place the key in the lock cylinder and in the RUN position.
B. Make sure the sector gear in the lock module assembly is in the RUN position.
C. Position the lock cylinder to the upper steering column shroud.
D. Line up the locking tabs and positioning tab with the slots in the lock module assembly and push the cylinder into position.

2. Position the upper shroud and install the two retaining screws.
3. Install the lower shroud taking care to align the slots on the lower shroud with the tabs on the upper shroud. Tilt the lower shroud up and snap the two shrouds together. Secure with the retaining screws.
4. Position the shift lever seal and multifunction lever seal into position.
5. Install the tilt lever to the steering column by snapping into place.
6. Install the steering column (or raise back into place, if there was enough room to perform this procedure by simply lowering the column). Install the retaining bolts. Carefully torque to 35 ft. Lbs. (47 Nm).
7. If all other service procedures have been performed, enable the SIR system.
BILLBURG
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I installed a used ignition switch and lock key lock cylinder. Now I tried to reset the pass-code by letting it sit for ten minutes with the security light blinking key on. I tried to restart the car and I get nothing but dash lights.
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:11 AM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is a tutorial showing the security system reset. Try this first and get back to us.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Also I have included the instructions on how to replace the ignition switch and key in the diagrams below. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

ANTHONY RIAS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Lost key, changed ignition key cylinder without an old key, relearn does not work, radio stays on, battery and security display stayed on message center on the dash. What can I do to fix this or get my car started?
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:12 AM (Merged)
KEN
You will need to have a shop or dealer reprogram the key to the security system. It should cost about $120.00 call around to see who can do it for you.

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, March 13th, 2021 AT 10:13 AM (Merged)
TFEAR
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Switched out a ignition switch but it wont reprogram the new one and security light wont go off
The security system works like this. When you turn the key, a magnet passes close to the passlock sensor. This security hall effect sensor sends a signal through a resister to the security low reference circuit. From there, the body control module (BCM) measures the voltage and determines if it is within the previously learned voltage perameters then tells the power control module (PCM) if it should start or not. If it isn't within the learned voltage, the security stays on and the vehicle doesn't start.

Now that you have replaced the ignition switch, the body control module (BCM) needs to relearn the voltage perameters before it will tell the PCM to start the engine. To do this, first, the computer needs to be read with a proper scanner to determine what the problem is (we already know what it is, the new switch). Once the trouble code is read, the body control module needs to learn the new perameters from the new switch before it will allow it to start.

Now that I explained that, I have to give you the bad news. A dealer is the only place that has the proper equipment to perform this repair. I wish I had a better answer for you, but the BCM needs reprogramed to accept the new switch's voltage perameters.

Let me know if you have other questions.

+1
JPOTEAT
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The key for my car will not turn in the switch. I pulled in my driveway put car in park and turned the key in off position. I went to get in car later and put key in switch, I tried to turn key and it will not turn at all. I did try the spare key with no success. The steering wheel does not lock, but I did try to move the gear selector while trying to turn the key. The key switch is in the dash.

Sponsored links