BRAKE NOISE

2005 Jeep Wrangler

rubicon

April, 21, 2008 AT 6:32 PM

Noises problem
2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 9,800 miles

right before coming to a complete stop, I will get a slight clicking, grinding noise UP FRONT.
things that were done
new pads/ceremiac
rotors resurfaced
calipers ok
calipers bolts ok
no issues found
no shudder
brakes work fine
noise is not loud, but it's there faintly.
normal?

blackop555

April, 21, 2008 AT 8:13 PM

First, does it do it in 4wheel drive or not?

Check the universal/cv joints in the front.

Check the ball joints and also the wheel bearings that should solve the problem, are you sure its in the front? Sounds travel.

rubicon

April, 22, 2008 AT 4:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. Being I only have 9k miles, I believe that stuff is good. It only happens when braking, right before a stop. Never anytime else. At one time the caliper bolts were loose, then tightened up to 15flbs, and the noise was much better. New pads were put on thursday. Dealer blew it off as rust on the rotors, which it was not. Front end. Track bar etc, looks fine. The mech's that did drive it, did not seem concerened. Like stated, not loud, but there? Yes, it's in the front.

blackop555

April, 22, 2008 AT 8:22 PM

Maybe your antirattle clips arent on there good or are bent. Also do you have noise shims on it? If not put them on!

Only does it with brakes on not just going slow?

As soon as the brakes are let go noise stop?

rubicon

April, 23, 2008 AT 4:26 AM

Only with the brakes on. No ABS. 4 wheel disc. I noticed yesterday it was not as bad. Maybe the pads need time to break in? I have some nerf bars on, and at one time the mounts were contacting the frame, under torque, but that was a clunk. That was fixed. I have heard (myth or fact) that dirty brake fluid can cause some noise? But I doubt that's the case.

blackop555

April, 23, 2008 AT 7:12 AM

Check the anti-rattle clips and the shims first before we think mechanical.

rubicon

April, 23, 2008 AT 5:30 PM

Thank you for the info so far! I am really at at loss. The clips and shims are fine. I tightened the swaybar end links, looked at the front end, everything is TIGHT. I really don't want to tighten the caliper bolts any more! The tech has them at 11-15 flbs. Or the knuckle will strip. Bout the only thing that was not changed, is the rotors, but I doubt thats the problem. Again, no pedal pulsation, brakes work fine. I listened to it more closley on the way home tonite, more like a clicking I guess. Again, only when the brake is applied, and only at the END of the stop. Other than that they are dead quiet. Is it true that floating calipers make some noise? I can't really throw any more $$$ at the problem. Again, the noise is not LOUD.

blackop555

April, 23, 2008 AT 7:29 PM

They do make some noise, I mean not too noticible unless you try to hear it.

I wouldnt throw any money at it, I would keep running it, and if it gets louder the part wil get worse and you will have no problems finding it if there even is a problem.

Sounds like everything is ok to me

rubicon

April, 23, 2008 AT 7:46 PM

I thank you again. I will take that advice and run it. I'll keep you posted of any changes.

blackop555

April, 23, 2008 AT 8:44 PM

Will be here! Just drop me a pm or reply on here and I will get to ya.

Good luck with it.

rubicon

April, 26, 2008 AT 7:49 PM

With that low mileage, could divits got worn into the knuckle, if the caliper bolts were loose at one time?
Just curious.

Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy