SPRING OVER CONVERSION

1985 Jeep Wagoneer

shaolinsifu

February, 29, 2008 AT 5:49 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1985 Jeep Wagoneer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 198000 miles

Gentlemen, this Grand Wagoneer has a solid front axle and leaf springs. The springs from the factory are under the axle, I would like to " spring over axle" howcan I determine if this is feasable to do without having to weld on brackets and buy a kit? I am looking to gain a few inches of height, nothing too drastic just a little more agressive stance.
Thank you,
Mike

lalorenzo

February, 29, 2008 AT 6:21 PM

Hi there,
I've never actually did the conversion on a wagoneer, but I'm sure the concept it identical. The Spring over axle conversion is an easy and inexpensive way to add a few inches and still have that smooth stock ride. You have to remove the spring seats from the bottom of the axle and weld them on top. Before welding, bolt everything together and Be sure to set the pitch of the differential for the shaft alignment. If all looks well, tack weld the spring seats, remove the u-bolts and fully weld the seats and reassemble. Its that simple. There is no fuss with the steering or any other stock components. Good luck with your conversion. Larry

Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy