This is PART of what you said in "PM"...................
ignition off; hazards work, ignition on, switch off; parking lights work, r&l turn indicators work, hazards light blink; ignition on,(run) switch on #1, parking lights work, turn indicators r&l work, hazards work, hazards w/turn no blink; switch on #2 parking lights work, r&l turn indicators work, hazards work, hazards w/turn no blink, headlights work. the dash lights work except the light switch. yes the wiring has been hacked, but only to replace it all with a complete new painless. mo wires left hanging or not connected. it was done by an, a/r, ee, engineer so i am confident. the turn indictor, steering wheel switch wasn't touched.
A BIT CONFUSING!!!
This is what I gather..........
1) IGN OFF: Hazards work (Is it the BRIGHT ELEMENT in EACH FRONT AND REAR BULB BLINKING OR THE DIMMER ELEMENT BURNING?)
2)IGN ON: Park lights on constant, w/ light switch off...Is this what you are saying? BRIGHT BULB ELEMENTS OR THE DIM? (Definite problem if so)
3) Dash lamp at "LIGHTS" may be burned out (This socket can EZily be checked, by removing the assembly and checking the socket for 12V, Light switch on)
4) Hazards w/ Turn Signal, Turn Sig not supposed to work.....only hazard.......I misunderstand?
5) Even an engineer can mess up.....looks to be the case!.....If this has been going on forever since you got this Jeep.
6) IF YOU WOULD, answer questions and correspond with my numbers.
IT MIGHT BE EZer to tell me what is not working when it should......or working when it shouldn't! PLEASE Number and Each position list all that is not functioning correctly.......Such as:
1) "Key Off" : this and that works right, but this is on and should not be......still OFF, I pull to park light position this and that, headlight position on, this and that happens
2) Key on : this and that, turn on park lights---this and that happens, turn on headlights this and that happens
I think you have figured out the brake light switch, NORMALLY OFF when pedal is "UP" switch button pushed in, "ON" when button is OUT, pedal is down.
I made a pic of mine (1977 CJ 5 258) using a mirror (center of pic, above and half-left of the red wire)
Usually the "Moved" Switch occurs when you pull the linkage loose from the Master Cylinder...and the pedal moves further than when it was "captured".
After it moves a lot, the Plastic threads get worn, and it seems to move on its own.....Rearward movement is most common (Brake Lights Stay On Constantly)
On another CJ I had I took one of those "Collar" type nuts, (found on toggle switches ETC.) and "Backed it up" in front of the switch holder, with the nut threaded down on the plastic switch
I have been "Pouring Over" my wiring diagrams, they show how it is supposed to be, YOURS is how it isn't!
I'm just wild guessing without more info
We will DEFINITELY have to do some "TESTING"
Do you have a voltmeter?
Do you have a test light?
Can you run a voltmeter?
Can you do continuity tests that I prescribe?
If not, we must again talk in "PM"
Your Turn (reply to question, below)
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM