1979 Jeep CJ7 CLUTCH ADJUSTMENTS

JOHN CASSESE
  • 1979 JEEP CJ7
ONE DAY THE DAMN PEDAL WENT TO FLOOR. I HAVE TO HAVE CLUTCH COMPLETELY PUSHED IN TO GET IN GEAR. IS THERE A CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT OR IS IT A REPLACEMENT? THANKS
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 8:40 PM

See my profile, votes, read my NEG point Post.

I can show you this whole deal, and How I Overcame it, after about 3 clutch episodes!

I will "PM" you, so you can see the Modification.

Love, Turddog
-1
Monday, April 19th, 2010 AT 10:06 PM
OK JOHN, Heres my best advice, and PICS that NOBODY ELSE on here will take time, to give you. I am a member here, just like you, except I have been coming here 10 times a day, since 19 DEC 08

If this is just an adjustment, follow below.

IF THIS WERE SUDDEN OCCURANCE THING--SOMETHING ELSE may be--BROKE/ BENT/ ETC. to get this, this far out of adjustment---all of a sudden.

Investigate other stuff 1st for problems, before you "over-adjust" trying to compensate for a REAL PROBLEM...A problem that could get worse.

Might make you smack the guy stopped in front of you!

This adjustment below, will only take out, just so much slack----before you unscrew it all the way off, and your real problem, is really not solved (and have no adjustment left)

I doubt your clutch is the issue here........ The way it sounds, its your Linkages, From the upper end of your clutch pedal--thru the Bellcrank--and down the adjusting rod to the "throw-out bearing arm" (which the arm may be bent or broke)--"A SUDDEN OCCURRENCE PROBLEM"not a suddenly needing an adjustment, has happened to you!

THESE PICS ARE NOT OUT OF A BOOK, I TOOK THEM, AND WENT THRU THE MOTIONS, JUST FOR YOU !

I am on my back, behind drivers side front tire, looking foward and up....(IN PIC--DOWN is FOWARD---UP is REAR WARD) Long 3/4 nut (adjuster) and 9/16 regular nut (locknut) are the adjustments....the black shiney thing at the top, of the adjuster (toward rear of Jeep), is the clutch arm, coming out of the bell housing

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_CJ_CLUTCH_ADJUSTMENT_001_1.jpg

Holding 3/4 still, push bottom of 9/16 LEFT, to break lock-nut loose, you may have to flip your wrench over several times, this is a tight-spot against my exaust.

On mine once the lock-nut is loose, you can spin the big/ long nut, with your Fingers, yours might not be that loose. (3/4 nut is the adjuster) Facing front of JEEP, (from behind the drivers side tire) and the clutch arm end of Adjuster is at the rear, CCW will make PEDAL RISE

Too much PEDAL, will keep pressure plate of clutch, like being slightly "disengaged" (like riding the clutch with your foot, but permanently, from a bad adjustment)

You should have about 1 inch of pedal play, at the top of your pedal, before you feel clutch starting to engage---anything else is WRONG and you maybe should investigate why you do not have enough adjustment left on the ROD....something bent/broke/bolts falling out/etc., making CORRECT ADJUSTMENT IMPOSSIBLE!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_CJ_CLUTCH_ADJUSTMENT_004_1.jpg

This is a view, down thru the hood, drivers side (My 6 cylinder) Of the wrenches, on the adjuster (from the bottom), you cannot really do this from above, just showing you location (I rubber-banded wrenches in place for Pics)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_CJ_CLUTCH_ADJUSTMENT_006_1.jpg

This is the bellcrank system: 2 angle iron brackets with "pivots", one on body, one on engine,
Internal bushings in bellcrank, adjustment rod, pedal rod---all primitive

My mods make this 500% better, In my Albums, I have old system (all parts) and MY MODIFIED SYSTEM (sorta laid out in a exploded view)

You can see most of the original parts in my albums--in "Inspection, exploded view, Display Fashion"

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_CJ_CLUTCH_ADJUSTMENT_008_1.jpg

Questions?

I will stay with you on this, until you get it figured out...seek buddy assistance, checking out your stuff

Did you see "PM" #2 ?

I am a member, like you, NO GETTY $$PAY$$ FOR ME HERE

Just want to help you (thats partially how I learned Jeep Stuff)..... others often "PM" me for additional help.

Love, Turddog
+4
Tuesday, April 20th, 2010 AT 1:01 PM