REMOVE AND REPLACE ALTERNATOR

1999 Jeep Cherokee

jpl1979

August, 4, 2010 AT 1:53 AM

1999 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

how do I remove and install new alternator?

bluelightnin6

August, 4, 2010 AT 2:19 AM

Determine which alternator your Jeep Grand Cherokee will need. You'll want to be sure the new alternator is compatible with your Grand Cherokee's engine. Models made from 1999 to 2004 may be equipped with a 2.7 L OM647, 3.1 L 531, 4.0 L PowerTech, or 4.7 L PowerTech engine. Models built after this date can have a 3.0 L OM642, 3.7 L PowerTech, 4.7 L PowerTech, 5.7 L Hemi or 6.1 L Hemi.

Disconnect both battery cables with a socket wrench. Take the accessory drive belt off the pulley and remove the electrical harnesses from the alternator. Take the mounting bolts off of the alternator with a socket wrench and remove the alternator assembly.

Install the new alternator assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to the proper tension with a torque wrench. Torque the mounting bolts for the 2.5 L and 4.0 L engines to 41 foot pounds. For the 3.7 L engine, the horizontal bolts should be torqued to 42 foot pounds and the vertical bolt should be torqued to 29 foot pounds.

Torque the short horizontal bolt for the 4.7 L engine to 55 foot pounds and the other two bolts to 41 foot pounds. The bolts on the 5.7 L engine should be torqued to 30 foot pounds.

" Step 5
Connect the electrical harness to the alternator. Install the alternator belt and adjust it to the proper tension. Connect the negative battery cable with a socket wrench.

jpl1979

August, 4, 2010 AT 2:26 AM

I own a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L V6. I have already purchased the new alternator. I don't own Torque wrench set. I do have socket wrenches. Will this be a problem?

bluelightnin6

August, 4, 2010 AT 2:27 AM

Yes you will have to torque the bolts properly or risk premature failure. You should be able to rent a torque wrench from a local auto part store though. Usually you just pay a deposit then borrow the tool, upon returning tool you get the deposit back.

jpl1979

August, 4, 2010 AT 2:28 AM

Ty

YanWo

August, 8, 2013 AT 1:48 PM

CAUTION: I believe at least some of the torque values given above are N-m, not ft-lb. One newton-meter is about 1.36 foot-pounds.

Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour