1995 JEEP CHEROKEE RUNS LIKE CRAP (SOMETIMES!)

• TCAT
  • 1995 Jeep Cherokee

My wife and I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 inline 6 cy.
Sometimes when you get in and start it the thing runs like only 5 of the six cylinders are firing. However, We can stop, go in Kroger, come back and start it up again and it runs fine.
We have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and fuel pump. I have disconnected the CPS connector and reconnected it, (advice from another forum), and had a look at the throttle body, (did not really know what to look for). The fact that it only mis-fires sometimes is very confusing. When I checked the diagnostic codes using the check engine light method, the first code given was 55 signaling the end of the test.
Can anyone help or advise me about what to do? Thank you, Tommy

Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 7:56 AM

• gofaster21

Hows your coolant level, is it dissapering at all? Any overheating issues?

Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 AT 12:08 PM
  • TCAT

We were having some overheating issues several months ago. Not complete overheating, but it was running a little hotter than normal operating temp. Lately, that is not a problem. Any ideas? This thing is really aggrivating.

Wednesday, December 20th, 2006 AT 1:02 PM
  • Service Writer

The 4.0 motors have a problem with fuel injectors clogging. Do a professional fuel injecting cleaning on it-not just some additive, may need it twice. Occasionally run it in low gear at 3500 rpm for 30 seconds to help break it up from the intake valves also.

Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 10:13 PM