RUNS LIKE CRAP (SOMETIMES!)

1995 Jeep Cherokee

TCAT

December, 19, 2006 AT 7:56 AM

My wife and I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 inline 6 cy.
Sometimes when you get in and start it the thing runs like only 5 of the six cylinders are firing. However, We can stop, go in Kroger, come back and start it up again and it runs fine.
We have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and fuel pump. I have disconnected the CPS connector and reconnected it, (advice from another forum), and had a look at the throttle body, (did not really know what to look for). The fact that it only mis-fires sometimes is very confusing. When I checked the diagnostic codes using the check engine light method, the first code given was 55 signaling the end of the test.
Can anyone help or advise me about what to do? Thank you, Tommy

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

gofaster21

December, 20, 2006 AT 12:08 PM

Hows your coolant level, is it dissapering at all? Any overheating issues?

TCAT

December, 20, 2006 AT 1:02 PM

We were having some overheating issues several months ago. Not complete overheating, but it was running a little hotter than normal operating temp. Lately, that is not a problem. Any ideas? This thing is really aggrivating.

Service Writer

December, 23, 2006 AT 10:13 PM

The 4.0 motors have a problem with fuel injectors clogging. Do a professional fuel injecting cleaning on it-not just some additive, may need it twice. Occasionally run it in low gear at 3500 rpm for 30 seconds to help break it up from the intake valves also.