TRANSMISSION PROBLEM1997 JAGUAR XK8 V8 TWO ...

1997 Jaguar XK8

tomxk8

December, 27, 2009 AT 4:46 PM

1997 Jaguar XK8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

when the car is put in drive the engine revs but the car does not move, then with a bang the trans goes into limp mode and the trans fault light and check engine light comes on. The car drives fine when up to speed. Could this be low fluid? And if so how do I check & add fluid?

mhpautos

December, 27, 2009 AT 7:02 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Checking & re filling the transmission is a precise operation requiring special equipment this is not something recommended to be done other than by a dealer, you need the vehicle up on a hoist, and transmission temp monitoring equipment must be used in conjunction with the filling of the oil, all very messy and best left to a dealer, as you are experiencing some sever selection problems, I would get a dealer to check the fault codes set, as I feel it will be more than low oil causing this problem, these transmissions are extremely complex. Do this ASAP as you may be doing more damage each time it selects like this.