POWER STEERING FLUID

1991 Jaguar XJ6

swtasugar1

December, 2, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

Steering problem
1991 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Automatic 185000 miles

I just bought the car in Oct. And it is starting to make a slight noise when I turn so I went to add power steering fluid and could not find where to put it. Could you please explain to me where to put it. Also as I was trying to find an answer I came across that I need a certain kind of power steering fluid. Any Idea what kind? Also my check engine light is on my friend has a machine to read the codes but can not figure out where to hook it up to. We checked under the hood and in the trunk. Any ideas? Thanks so much

James W.

December, 2, 2008 AT 6:27 PM

The power steering reservoir is located on thr left front fender well. It should say " power steering" on the cap. The fluid used can be either regular powersteering fluid or Dextron ATF, " BUT", you don't want to mix the two. Dip the reservoir with a paper towel. If it looks like motor oil, it's PS fluid. If it's red, It's ATF.
You should be able to access the engine codes on your VCM panel on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

swtasugar1

December, 3, 2008 AT 4:13 AM

I see the VCM but not sure how to use it, or what many of the buttons do.

James W.

December, 3, 2008 AT 6:48 PM

If you push the button marked VCM, any stored code should appear on the panel above. If you are lucky enough to have an owners manual, it should walk you through it.

Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Replace Tie Rod End