2002 JAGUAR S-TYPE HELP ENGINE LIGHT ON CODE P1380

• waynelondon
  • 2002 Jaguar S-Type

2002 Jaguar S-Type 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 67000 miles

I had the problem the othEr day the engine managment light come on.I then took my car to a friend who placed it on his scanner and it throw up code P1380 and it did not say what it was and he could not turn the light off I think only the dealer can do this? The car is running ok no problems at all and it was fully serviced the other week. Do you have any idea what I need to do. Can I still drive this car and what do I need to repair it?

Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:22 AM

• Dave H

Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

If the car seems to be running OK .. I would have the light turned off (most independant garages will be able to do this) .. and drive the car to see if the code returns ? .. if the codes is returning immediately the do the following test's

DTC P1380, P1381 OR P1383: VARIABLE VALVE TIMING SOLENOID (RIGHT BANK)

Turn ignition off. Disconnect right Variable Valve Timing (VVT) solenoid harness connector. Measure resistance between VVT solenoid terminals. If resistance is 5-20 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is not 5-20 ohms, replace VVT solenoid and retest system.
Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and VVT Solenoid harness connector Green/Orange wire. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is 10 volts or less, repair power supply circuit and retest system.
Disconnect PCM harness connectors. Check continuity of White/Black wire between VVT solenoid harness connector and PCM harness connector PI-1 terminal No. 10. If continuity exists, go to next step. If continuity does not exist, repair open in White/Black wire and retest system.
Check continuity between ground and VVT solenoid harness connector White/Black wire. If continuity exists, repair short to ground and retest system. If continuity does not exist, replace PCM and retest system.

Hope this helps .. let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1120.png

+1
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 3:52 AM
  • captjeff

It is a Jaguar system ready code and cannot be cleared. It is not a malfunction or problem code.

-2
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 12:16 PM
  • Dave H

DTC P1380, P1381 OR P1383: VARIABLE VALVE TIMING SOLENOID (RIGHT BANK) .. Is a fault code, regarding VVT solonoid .. it is NOT a system ready code ... you should be able to clear/delete it .. if you cannot clear this code or the code re-appears as soon as you clear it, then the solonoid is bad or there is a problem on the wiring to/from the solonoid or the actual PCM (computer) is faulty !!

hope this helps, let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1124.png

Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 2:30 AM