1998 ISUZU AMIGO THERMOSTAT? OR WORSE?

• agar11
  • 1998 Isuzu Amigo

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Isuzu Amigo 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 92000 miles

minor overheating problems with heater running and sometimes heater blowing cold air for couple of weeks - while driving at highway speed, radiator hose exploded with overheating - replaced hose and it sat for a day - following day, put some coolant in radiator (not enough to fill, though) and drove OK for about 20 miles and began to overheat again - able to stop and let it cool down a couple of times until got it home
thermostat issue? Timing belt? Water pump?
help. Don't want to put too much more $$ into it - just spent almost $3000 on tranny, brake pads, front axle shaft : (

Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

Best change the thermostat and I would also get the radiator cleaned & flow tested and not just a back flush, a full core clean out and replace the pressure cap, start here.

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 3:43 AM
  • agar11

At this point, is it OK to drive (at least to the garage) if an sharp eye is kept on the temp gauge? Or would this cause further damage? (I'm paranoid about the block)

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 8:03 AM
  • mhpautos

Hi there. A short drive to a work shop should be fine, but do not let it get into the red on the gauge,

mark

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 4:40 PM
  • agar11

The mechanic replaced the thermostat and said it was stuck closed, but vehicle still overheated after about 20 miles of driving : ( what else could be wrong?
(and should I get a new mechanic?)
thanks!

Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 10:42 AM
  • mhpautos

Hi there, get the radiator checked, and not just a back flush, it may need a full core clean out, also have the coolant checked for and signs of Co, this is a simple chemical test, if Co present you will have a head gasket problem. If you are not happy with your mechanic go find another one.

Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 3:42 PM