I need to change the Ignition switch

DAVE1124
  • 2011 DODGE CALIBER
How to change ignition switch in my car?
Tuesday, November 1st, 2016 AT 4:28 PM

KEN
Here you go! Please let us know how it turns out

Remove air cleaner fresh air duct (2) and disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery. Refer to BATTERY, Removal.
Fig 1: Steering Column Shrouds

Remove upper (1) and lower (2) steering column shrouds. Refer to SHROUD, Steering Column, Lower, Removal and SHROUD, Steering Column, Upper, Removal.
Fig 2: Ignition Switch Mounting Screw

Position steering column to the full down position.
Position ignition key to the RUN position.
Disconnect the ignition switch electrical connector.
Remove the ignition module mounting screw (1).
Fig 3: Ignition Switch Removal/Installation

CAUTION:
Extreme care must be taken when removing the ignition switch. The detent pin (3) located in the ignition cylinder housing is very delicate. Excessive force used when removing the ignition switch can cause this part to break. The ignition cylinder housing will need to be replace if this occurs.

Gently pull ignition module (1) straight out and off the retaining tabs (2) located on the lock cylinder housing.

View Full-Screen
Pay close attention not to damage the detent pin in the lock cylinder housing when removing the ignition switch. Gently rotate the ignition switch counter - clockwise until the part of the ignition switch where the electrical connector (1) plugs in clears the tilt lever (2) as shown in illustration. Remove the ignition switch from the lock cylinder housing.
Installation

INSTALLATION

Fig 5: Ignition Switch Rotated

CAUTION:
Carefully install the ignition switch to the slotted detent pin. If installed forcefully the detent pin will break the ignition cylinder lock housing will have to be replaced.

Pay close attention not to damage the detent pin in the lock cylinder housing when installing the ignition switch Position the ignition switch (1) as shown in order in illustration to clear the tilt lever (2).
Fig 6: Ignition Switch Removal/Installation

Ensure the ignition module is in the RUN position and the actuator shaft in the lock housing is in the RUN position.
Align the ignition switch (1) with the detent pin (3), and retaining tabs (2) located on the lock cylinder housing. Carefully install the module, snapping it into place over the retaining tabs. Make sure the ignition switch is fully seated.
Fig 7: Ignition Switch Mounting Screw

Install the ignition module (2) mounting screw (1). Tighten the screw to 2 N.M (18 in. Lbs.).
Connect the ignition switch electrical connector.
Fig 8: Steering Column Shrouds

Install upper (1) and lower (2) steering column shrouds. Refer to SHROUD, Steering Column, Lower, Installation and SHROUD, Steering Column, Upper, Installation.
Install air cleaner fresh air duct (2) and disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery. Refer to BATTERY, Installation.
Check operation of all steering column mounted components.
IGNITION SWITCH [ DISASSEMBLY ]

Fig 9: Ignition Switch Mounting Screw

NOTE:
Lock cylinder housing removed from column.

Remove the ignition switch (2) mounting screw (1).
Fig 10: Ignition Switch Removal/Installation

Pull the switch (1) straight out and off the retaining tabs (2) located on the lock cylinder housing.
IGNITION SWITCH [ ASSEMBLY ]

Fig 11: Ignition Switch Removal/Installation

Ensure the ignition switch is in the RUN position and the actuator shaft in the lock housing is in the RUN position.
CAUTION:
Use care when installing the ignition switch on the lock cylinder housing to avoid damaging the key-in plunger (3).

Align the ignition switch with the key-in plunger (3), actuator shaft and retaining tabs (2) located on the lock cylinder housing. Carefully install the switch, snapping it into place over the retaining tabs.
Fig 12: Ignition Switch Mounting Screw

Install the ignition switch (2) mounting screw (1). Tighten the screw to 2 N.M (18 in. Lbs.).

Best, Ken
Monday, November 7th, 2016 AT 8:47 AM
MATTHEW EDWARDS
  • 2007 DODGE CALIBER
How to replace ignition switch on a 2007 dodge caliber
+1
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 4:56 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Remove air cleaner fresh air duct.
Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery,
Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds,
Remove steering column opening cover.
Remove the screw (2) that secures the right multi-function switch (1) to the mounting bracket integral to the right side of the clockspring (3) on the steering column.

Slide the switch away from the clockspring far enough to disengage the slide tab on the bottom of the switch housing from the channel formation in the mounting bracket.
Position the multi-function switch aside.
Remove screw (1) fastening the SKREEM/WCM (2) to the lock cylinder housing (3).

Unhook the SKREEM/WCM (2) retainer fingers from the lock cylinder housing (3) and position the SKREEM/WCM (2) back on the lock cylinder housing (3).
Insert an appropriate tool into the slot (1) formed into the lock cylinder housing.

Depress the key cylinder retaining tab.
Pull key cylinder (3) and key (2) straight out of the lock cylinder housing as one unit.

To install:

Place actuator in the lock cylinder housing to the RUN position (if not already there).
Insert key into key cylinder and turn key cylinder to the RUN position.
Align the retaining tab on the key cylinder with the slot in the top of the lock cylinder housing.
Slide key cylinder into the lock cylinder housing until key cylinder retaining tab locks the cylinder into place.
Rotate key back and forth (OFF to START), then remove and reinstall it, making sure key cylinder and lock cylinder housing operate properly.
Slide the ring of SKREEM/WCM over lock cylinder housing and engage the retainer fingers in the recesses formed on the lock cylinder housing.
Install screw fastening the SKREEM/WCM to lock cylinder housing. Tighten screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
Install and tighten the screw that secures the mounting tab on the back of the right multi-function switch to the mounting bracket on the clockspring.
Install steering column opening cover,
Install upper and lower steering column shrouds,
Install air cleaner fresh air duct and connect negative battery cable at battery,

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+7
GILESFRANCISCO
Hello Mat,
I am following these directions but I got stuck in the final step to remove the lock. I think I found the slot but I have not found a suitable tool. I am trying with a tiny screwdriver that fits into the slot but when I push down I cannot feel any tab moving down. Is the tool I am using correct? How hard should I try to depress the tab? Thanks.
+5
TIGER8
  • 2007 DODGE CALIBER
My ignition key will not release? The car sterts fine and there are no check ingine lights on. But my key will not turn all the way back to release! Any suggestions?
Monday, July 6th, 2020 AT 4:57 PM (Merged)
Hi:
The car is still under factory warranty. Take it to a dealer to have it fixed. There should be no charge, but confirm that with the dealership before they start work.
TOM SCHWAB
  • 2007 DODGE CALIBER
When I turn the key all the way normally it tries to start but then stops and makes the starter click like its a starter problem. But when you turn the key slowly until it connects and does not turn it any more, then it starts every time no problem. The key assembly (tumbler) seems to be getting looser as the years roll along. Is there a spot that wears down that would cause this and what (approximately) would it cost to have this problem illuminated?
Sounds like a bad ignition switch, have checked locally for prices as they vary all over. It has to be programmed to your car after install anyhow.

Sponsored links