Idle speed

GLAWRENCE1957
  • 2001 KIA SPORTAGE
I need to raise the idle speed on my kia sportage. Where is the idle screw on this car? The car dies every time I stop at a light or slow down to go over speed bumps or turn. The car is idling at pretty slowly so I figure I need to adjust the idle speed. I was told it should be idling at 1 on the tachometer. I have added 1 can of seafoam to the gas to clean out the jets and filters so I am pretty confident it is not a fuel filter or gunk in the jets. I have tried to find a free manual on-line but so far I haven't had much luck.
Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 AT 8:19 PM

Fuel injected cars don't have idle speed adjustment screws. The Engine Computer controls idle speed through the idle air control valve. That is a passage around the throttle blade. On many cars the computer will lose its memory if the battery is disconnected or run dead and will have to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it has to be in control of idle speed. Until then you also will not get the nice idle flare-up to 1500 rpm when you start the engine, and it may be hard to start unless you hold the gas pedal down 1/4".

Some engines are also prone to that air passage becoming plugged with carbon. The injectors will spray more fuel but you won't get the needed air to go with it.

Not all cars need to do something special to relearn minimum throttle. The only ones I know how to do are Chryslers and those are simple. You need to drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals. You may need to find out your procedure from a Kia mechanic. You can try calling the dealership but often the guys behind the desk don't know the procedure.

Try decoking (cleaning) the throttle bore, here is a guide on how to do it, it will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service
+2
Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 AT 9:32 PM
CASSERES
  • 2009 KIA SPORTAGE
Hi, when I stop at the stop lights the engine stalls and also sometime when I am driving it stalls. I brought to the dealer and they connected the scan to it, but there seems to be no problem. The engine light doesn't light up.

What can be the problem, where am I suppose to be looking at.

Thank you.
Saturday, April 13th, 2019 AT 5:36 PM (Merged)
If the engine is stalling at an idle, check to make sure there are no vacuum leaks and check the idle air control valve.
CYEARIAN
  • 2000 KIA SPORTAGE
My Kia will start but in order for it to keep runnig, I have to hold in the gas. The check engine light comes on Bot so does this light that says HOLD. How do I fix this. What does the light HOLD mean
-1
WRENCHTECH
I can't find any info on the "hold" light but you should find something in your owner's manual. As far as the check engine light, the "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.
-1

Sponsored links