I NEED HELP PLEASE!!

• BrandieMeadows
  • 1988 Toyota Camry

So I have a 1988 toyota camry that I got from my brother in law. One day I was driving to pick up my friend from work and missed my turn so I flipped around to the right and my car instantly stops. I get it to the side of the road and look under the hood. I had a blown alternator fuse and the EFI fuse was hot. I got it towed home replaced the alternator fuse harness and still nothing. It has been sitting now for like 4 or 5 months. I went to try and start it and it still wont start. Its getting spark and compression it makes a weird sound and trys to start but dont. I was told it was the timing belt jumped a tooth. Also I didnt know that I have been driving it since I got it without a air filter. So I need to know what to do. Please help me

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 AT 11:32 AM

• hmac300

Check your compression, if belt timing is off all cylinders will be low. However you'll need to know if this is an interference engine or not as it may have bent valves so head may have to come off.

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 AT 12:11 PM
  • BrandieMeadows

It is a interference engine. Is the fact that I didn't have a air filter on and driving it for a while gonna make my situation worse

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 AT 2:04 PM
  • hmac300

Well it will llet dirt into engine but no the damage is maybe done already. Do the compression test first then if you change the blet and it won't start or runs like crap have the head pulled and check for bad valves or do another compression test after the belt has been changed. But also put some type of air filter on it.

Wednesday, April 17th, 2013 AT 3:07 PM