ENGINE LIGHT, ON FOR OVER A YEAR

2005 Hyundai Tuscon

garzzz45

July, 14, 2010 AT 12:47 PM

Computer problem
2005 Hyundai Tuscon 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

I took this car to Pep Boys for the engine light. They told me the code suggested the catalytic converter, both front and rear needed to be replace. I thought it might be a worn gasket from the gas cap. But who knows. Supposedly, the catalytic converter should last the life of the car. Any suggestions?

caradiodoc

July, 14, 2010 AT 1:05 PM

Hi daytona53. Welcome to the forum. Where did you hear a catalytic converter always lasts the life of the car? If that were true, the parts stores wouldn't have dozens of them in stock. For a 6 cylinder engine, you should have a left and a right converter. Each one will have an oxygen sensor ahead of it and after it. The front ones determine if the fuel / air mixture is correct. The second one monitors the converter efficiency or how well it is working. It is more common to have a failed oxygen sensor, but the diagnostic fault code will specify that. A defective converter will set a different fault code.