REAR END NOISE

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

zachishi

March, 1, 2008 AT 7:43 AM

Brakes problem
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I have the same problem as the other poster and I didn't see a response.

Here are the simptoms:

-Rolling at idle speed or just above there is a rubbing noise that seems to be coming from the left rear tire. Once I noticed it I replaced all rotors and pads, front and rear. It needed it anyways. Noise stayed
-Noise seems to stop if I touch the brakes.
-Noise has gotten progressively loader
-I replaced all tires and had an alignment, noise stayed
-Rear CV joint seems to be intact and in good running order by appearance.(No cracked boots, not broken seals. Feels firm)
-Tested rear caliper by taking it off the rotor and pressing the brake, It seemed to compress normally.
-I am also hearing a lot of squilling from the rear brakes, they are still very new. I cant seem to get rid of it.

I have done the same basic things and no change. Please let e know. Thanks Zach

Bonzly

April, 19, 2008 AT 4:34 PM

I have a similar problem except mine is a high pitch noise that happens after I have driven for 10-15 minutes and then stops when I hit the brakes. Appears to be coming from rear brakes or just rear of car. I have not done anything except have mech look at it and listen for noise. Have you tried asking this question of someone at the dealership?

beejaylouise

October, 5, 2012 AT 5:54 PM

The Santa Fe has two sizes of rear brake shoes. One is slightly wider than the other, but will fit. Generally the issue is the wrong shoe has been installed. Check to see if this is the case with yours.

Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front