2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Check Engine Light

CHAVER2U
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SANTA FE

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 96000 miles

I used to own a 1994 Honda Civic. When the check engine light came on, I could insert a jumper into the scanner plug and the Check Engine light would flash in a series of dots and dashes that I could then identify the diagnostic code. It was a poor man's scanner, if you will.

I now drive a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. Is there a similar means to extract the Check Engine diagnostics without having to buy a scanner?

Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 10:48 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Nope, things changed on the DLC (diagnostic link connectors) around 96ish when they switched from OBD I to OBD II . You can take it to a local auto part store and ask them to retrieve the codes for you though, most do this as a free courtesy service. Just post the code(s) you get here and I will follow up on them, because usually the workers know how to scan it but don't know what the codes actually mean.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 1:10 AM