1997 HYUNDAI ACCENT IGNITION FUSE BLOWS ON START-UP IN EXTR

• lsummach
  • 1997 Hyundai Accent

1997 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 238000 miles

In extreme cold, the car will start but the ignition fuse blows immediately. Replacing the fuse doesn't help and the problem only resolves when the temperature warms up. When this happened last winter, the circuits were tested and apparently showed no problems. Another mechanic suggested disconnecting the command start and our immobilizer alarm to avoid too much drain on the circuit. We did that last year and it seemed to help, but the problem has re-occurred this winter again. What could be blowing the fuse and why does this happen only in extreme cold temperatures?

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 2:20 PM

• Docfixit

Hi
Would you give location and ID of fuse? Also has starter draw been checked?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 9:31 AM
  • lsummach

Hi, it's a 30amp slow fuse under the hood. It's in the location marked "ignition" on the fuse box diagram under the hood.

The dealer checked it out this week, they said that on start-up, there was a HUGE load on the circuit. They put in a 20amp fuse instead and that didn't blow on start-up. They said they bypassed the fuse and the load disappeared. Once the temperature warmed up above -20C then the car started fine. It seems to blow at some critical internal temp threshold. The dealer said that the starter was "fine" but they didn't say what the draw was. I will ask them today because I'm not convinced that they've changed anything.

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 10:30 AM
  • Docfixit

In cold temps metal contracts so have them check connections at fuse link for tight fit. If connection poor resistence is increased and amp draw gose up.

Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 11:35 AM