2000 Honda Passport Temperature gauge and no heat

TNORTON1
  • 2000 HONDA PASSPORT

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Honda Passport 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

As I was driving back up to the mountains in CO, the check engine light suddenly came on. Simultaneously, the needle on my temperature gauge was going down rapidly and the heater stopped working. After stopping the car to inspect it, I turned it back on. The check engine light was still on but the needle climbed slowly and reached the center after driving for 5 minutes (pretty normal). Then, my car lost all heat again as I was going down hill. It was hovering around 15 degrees F when this happened. What should I do?

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 7:28 PM

IMPALASS

Hello -

To better assist you is your model the EX or LX and what is the engine size in liter?

Also, so we are on the same page. You have plenty of coolant in the radiator but the temp gauge goes down and then it blows cold air?

So sometimes the temp gauge is normal and you have hot air?

Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
TNORTON1

It is an LX and the coolant level has not gone down since the problem. My car only blows cold air when going down hill-at this time, the temp. Gauge reads cold.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 7:09 AM
IMPALASS

Hello -

Thanks for the info.

Since the vehicle is running cold. And you have plenty of coolant.I would say your thermostat is stuck open. The going downhill kind of throws a question in it. But I suggest you change your thermostat and see if it is stuck open.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 7:18 PM
CHRISCARMONA301

Yes this is very similar to what happened to me. I drove about 5 hours to go snowboard and parked my car for a couple days outside in the cold. When I went to drive it again, the heater did not blow hot air and my temperature gauge was super low. However when I would romp up those really big hills (pedal to the metal for a couple miles) the temperature gauge would go back to normal and my heater would blow hot air. I'm a poor kid in college so I'm really hoping there is an easy fix for this.

Thank you,

Chris

Monday, November 30th, 2015 AT 2:18 PM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Engine Temperature Not Working Questions