Okay, to better assist you please tell me if your model is the DX, EX, or LX. Also please tell me your engine size in liter and the 5th and 8th digit of your VIN.
You have a fault with the transmission. If fault has set a DTC, the CHECK TRANS light on instrument panel will flash. The DTC may be retrieved to determine transmission problem area.
Also the control module contains a fail-safe system. When a failure or problem is present in the transmission electronic control system, the control module may go into a back-up mode using pre-programmed values, allowing vehicle to be driven.
The CHECK TRANS light on instrument panel will flash to inform driver of a problem. Vehicle can be driven, but shifting must be done manually. When manually shifting transmission, if shift lever is placed in "D" or "3" position, transmission remains in 4th gear. If shift lever is placed in "2" position, transmission remain in 3rd gear. If shift lever is placed in "L" position, transmission remains in 1st gear. If shift lever is placed in "R" position, transmission will shift into reverse.
If you don't have a TECH 1 scan tool, then start with step 5.
TCM Diagnostic Trouble Codes
1. Locate diagnostic connector (2-pin connector) and TCM/ECM data link connector (3-pin connector). See Fig. 2 .
2. If using a TECH 1 scan tool, ensure ignition is off. Connect Adapter Cable (TA-02279-B) and scan tool to TCM/ECM data link connector, and to battery supply voltage using Adapter Cable (J-38770-4).
3. Turn ignition on. Using TECH 1 scan tool, note DTC displays on scan tool using scan tool manufacturer's instructions.
4. If no data can be obtained on TECH 1 scan tool, perform diagnostic connector and voltage supply test. See DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR & VOLTAGE SUPPLY TEST under appropriate DIAGNOSTIC TESTS. If data is received, proceed to step 8 .
5. If using diagnostic connector and CHECK TRANS light, ensure ignition is off. Install a fused jumper wire between terminals No. 1 and 2 on diagnostic connector (2-pin connector). See Fig. 2 . This places TCM in self-diagnostic mode.
6. Turn ignition on. DTC will be displayed by flashing CHECK TRANS light. CHECK TRANS light will remain off for 3.2 seconds, then flash on and off at .4 second intervals for 9 flashes if operation is normal. See Fig. 7 . If a DTC is present, CHECK TRANS light will remain off for 3.2 seconds, then flash each 2 digit DTC 3 times.
7. After all DTCs are displayed, DTC retrieval cycle will repeat, beginning with the first DTC. DTCs will be displayed as long as jumper wire is installed in diagnostic connector.
8. Once DTC is obtained, determine probable cause and symptom. See DTC IDENTIFICATION table. For trouble shooting of DTCs, see appropriate DIAGNOSTIC TESTS. Turn ignition off. Remove TECH 1 scan tool or jumper wire.
Let me know what you got.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 6:46 PM