2002 HONDA CRV SMOKE FROM FRONT SEAL AREA

• Lloyddubose
  • 2002 HONDA CRV

2002 Honda CRV 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99000 miles

AC went out/locked up, I removed serp. Belt to drive home to keep from causing more damage to ac/belt, and when vehicle starts, smoke comes from behind the H/Balancer, front seal area, blue oil smoke, I and local mechanics have never seen this before. If front seal is bad, there is only a little oil on front of engine, and when started oil doesnt pour out, just white smoke, havnt removed balancer yet, any thoughts as to cause of smoke from this area, also there is no slack or movement in balancer and no strange noises.

Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 7:40 PM

• F4I_guy

It is probably your front main seal leaking or another seal or cover behind the timing cover. The smoke could just be the oil being burnt off the hot engine, or it could actually be crankcase vapours escaping if the seal is badly torn, but I doubt that. I've only seen this once, and the block had a crack in it.

I would remove the harm. Balancer and timing cover(s) and investigate.

Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 2:59 PM