WRONG SPARK PLUGS

Honda Civic

mdke025

April, 6, 2007 AT 2:54 PM

I have a 2000 Honda Civic LX 148,000 miles. I had a tune up 4 months ago and had the wrong spark plugs put in, they were platinum and my car takes regular plugs. My check engine light came on and when I had it scanned it was a code for the catalytic converter and the o2 sensors. Whe I brought the car to honda they said they could not fix it under the warranty because the wrong spark plugs caused both the cat and the sensors to get fried. I went back to the place that did my tune up and tehy replaced the spark plugs and o2 sensors for free. They showed me the sensor and it was slightly cut, I have only driven 50 miles since this, and the check engine light hasnt come back on yet. Can having the wrong spark plugs really have caused these other parts to get fried?

jough626

April, 7, 2007 AT 11:45 PM

NOPE. Don't beileve that. The spark plugs spark and light the fuel on fire, that's it. The have a temp range that operate at. Even if you had plugs that were grossly wrong, the O2 sensor would be fine and so would the cat. The Honda dealer was just trying to prey on your ignorance. You did the right thing to have mechanic replace the parts for parts honda would later agree to work with.

lostinmars

April, 10, 2007 AT 2:25 AM

The o2 Sensor and cat on that car are a common failure. I have one scheduled for weds in my shop. I can't see how platinum plugs could cause this.

April, 10, 2007 AT 2:54 AM

[quote=" lostinmars" ]the o2 Sensor and cat on that car are a common failure. I have one scheduled for weds in my shop. I can't see how platinum plugs could cause this.[/Quote

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang