CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - NO CODE

KRISTA
  • HONDA CIVIC
2000 Honda Civic Sir-Engine light appears on while driving down highway. No problems at all with running or engine etc. Don't know if codes were checked at this point. Battery cable disconnected to take off engine light.

I then bought the car. Engine Light comes on three weeks later while gearing up from a stop. The car this time jerks violently in 1st & 2nd, (like with someone who can't drive standard). Car fine in neutral- pull over, turn off car and then back on. Engine light still on but no running problems.
Check for codes - No code! What is going on?
Saturday, April 7th, 2007 AT 5:59 PM

JOUGH626
I had a similar problem. Everything was fine, engine wouldn't run and it without the engine running, the check engine light would not come on. My manual said after 10 seconds of cranking with no start, the CEL would come on alerting you to a problem. The CEL never came on. My manual said, not in so many words, that if everything else is ok and you don't get a CEL or a code, the engine computer is faulty.

My suggestion is to find a known working engine computer and swap it out. Good luck.
Saturday, April 7th, 2007 AT 11:38 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Clear the computer again. Check the tranny fluid for level and color. Then I ask where are you getting the codes read? Have you considered another pull at the codes with a different system?
Sunday, April 8th, 2007 AT 8:37 AM
KRISTA
Thanks for the tip. I will check the tranny fluid.
I will most likely have it looked at by the $mechanics$ for the sake of their computer technology. I had checked for the codes via the procedure recommended in the codes book, (insert connector piece or paper clip into 2 wire connector under the dash passenger side.) After several attempts with no codes flashing, what does one do but reset and hope it a) never happens again b) next time it happens there's a code!
Sunday, April 8th, 2007 AT 9:35 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Precisely! Is it running good though?
Sunday, April 8th, 2007 AT 11:35 PM
KRISTA
Yes, it runs just like a new car. :)
Monday, April 9th, 2007 AT 1:54 PM