P0505 CODE

1998 Honda Civic

johannw

October, 19, 2008 AT 12:26 PM

1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 169, 00 miles

I searched the archives. I have checked for vacuum leaks, none, taken off the IAC valve, cleaned it and replaced it. Checked the ohm test on it and it was ok. It goes about a week before it comes on after reset. Does this valve slowly fail?

jnovack

October, 19, 2008 AT 1:09 PM

Here's a list of some of the other things that need to be checked before replacing any more parts. The throttle body for a clogged port or improper adjustment. The intake manifold gasket for leakage. The intake air hose for being loose and leaking. Vacuum leaks in general. Incorrect engine coolant temperature sensor output. On some models incorrect throttle position sensor output. Then you get down to the wiring from the computer to the idle air control valve or the computer.

johannw

October, 19, 2008 AT 1:39 PM

I had done the first four suggestions and the temp sensor. The throttle position sensor I had not checked it yet and will look at that. Also I had pulled off an engine bracket to look at the wiring to the valve, it was said the bracket rubs the wires and they were fine. I also tested the voltage in the wire at the valve and computer.

johannw

October, 19, 2008 AT 2:55 PM

Since I do not have a scan tool there is not much I can check, connector is clean. There is an error code for the temp. Sensor and I have not seen it.

johannw

October, 20, 2008 AT 8:07 PM

The intake is not leaking and all the vacuum hoses are tight. So since the error shows up less since I have cleaned the valve I am still leaning that it is faulty.

johannw

October, 27, 2008 AT 9:50 PM

So I pulled off the IAC valve and sprayed it with WD40 and so far after a week it has not thrown a code.

johannw

October, 28, 2008 AT 7:29 PM

Now I hear it is still throwing a code and did a few times this weekend. New valve?

jnovack

October, 28, 2008 AT 8:11 PM

Yes change valve and let me know please

johannw

November, 13, 2008 AT 6:02 PM

It took a while to get the part from the dealer, replaced it last night and driving it today the check engine light came back on and the same idle issue. Genuine Honda valve. This is of course frustrating.

jnovack

November, 14, 2008 AT 4:45 PM

What is the code for the check engine lite

johannw

November, 14, 2008 AT 6:16 PM

The P0505 it has been every time no other.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet