VSS & CEL CODE 41

1994 Honda Civic

trdarch

November, 16, 2009 AT 1:22 AM

1994 Honda Civic 4 cyl Automatic

I have a 1994 Honda Civic automatic 2dr Coupe. I recently replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) because the Speedometer had not been functioning correctly. It would work on and off. When it did work, it would show the correct speed, but then it would usually just return back to 0 MPH. After replacing the VSS, the speedometer still has not been working. The Odometer does not work either, but the other gauges do. A few days ago (about a month after the VSS was replaced) the Check Engine Light appeared. I checked the code and it is showing a �Code 41�, which is the Oxygen Sensor Heater. I have never gotten a code for the VSS. Everything I read regarding the VSS and the Oxygen sensor related to the Speedometer working erratically, such as showing 140MPH then 70MPH then 0MPH and so forth, where as mine either shows the correct speed, or 0MPH. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do about this problem? Would I be able to do the work myself?

Thanks so much in advance.

F4I_guy

November, 16, 2009 AT 6:38 AM

The harness connector on the VSS likes to build up corrosion. Check the connector.

Also, with the key on, engine off, you should have a 5V reference and a ground at the connector. The other wire is the VSS signal.