1994 HONDA CIVIC DX

• J5382001
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC

Hi there,
Recently I purchased a used '94 honda civic with approximately 99 000 miles. Since it is my first car and I know absolutely nothing about cars I decided to take it in for a tune up. Apparently the car was in need of some major work. I was wondering if it is normal to charge $500 for oil change, transmission fluid flush, changing the fuel filter. Etc. Some have said I got ripped off big time and I just would like to get an estimate. How much should this cost?

Thanks for all you help
Judy

Friday, June 2nd, 2006 AT 6:00 AM

• Oortega

Honda Civics are great cars. I have a 95 Civic and I love it!

The repairs you listed shouldn't be that expensive. I would definately shop around and ask your friends who the honest neighborhood mechanics are. Their reputation will preceed them.

I just got my oil changed and paid $24. I also recently had my transmission flushed and it was about $100. I'm not sure about the costs of the other services you listed, but I just had these two things done within the last two weeks. The fuel filter shouldn't run more than $100. I'm surprised at the price you list. I shop around and the prices I found were pretty standard.

Also, just in case you don't know, you don't need to go to the dealer to have these repairs done. Normally dealerships will overcharge you.

I hope your civic is good to you.

Sunday, June 4th, 2006 AT 7:57 PM