Key stuck in ignition

JIM BROPHY
  • 2004 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 2004 Honda Accord and the keys are getting stuck in the ignition. If I restart the car and push the gear shift forward with addition force the key usually comes out. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Is there a switch that needs to be replace.
Monday, December 31st, 2007 AT 11:28 AM

JEREMIAH
There's a key interlock solenoid that prevents you from removing the key if the vehicle is not in park. Could be that. Usually under the shifter. You should here it click when you cycle the key on and off.
+1
Sunday, January 6th, 2008 AT 2:07 AM
SMILLER2113
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
My key is stuck in the ignition and it won't release no matter what I do. This has nothing to do with the positioning of the wheels, I've tried that already
-1
Wednesday, February 6th, 2019 AT 2:51 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6

I would try WD40 in the tumber first work the key around but it sounds like the key and tumbler has gone bad which is common here are diagrams and instructions on how to change it out. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
GREGTHOS
Thanks for this post I had this problem had to get a new key and tumbler cost me $121.00. I love this site
-1
CEVANS
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
My wife says she has to rotate the steering wheel to get the key out sometimes. Why dies this happen?
Wednesday, February 6th, 2019 AT 2:52 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
The barrel and key assembly may be a t sticky, ensure that the key is not bent a little and you can try squirting a little powered graphyte into the lock, this is better than spray lube as the spray lube can attract dirt and gum up again, you can get the graphyte at hard wear and locksmiths it is quite cheap.
-1
CZY4HEELS
  • HONDA ACCORD
I drive a 1990 Honda Accord automatic with about 145,000 miles on it. When the weather gets real cold (below freezing) the key gets stuck in the ignition after I turn the car off. I can take it out once the car recognizes that it is in park. The cooler is gets, the longer it takes for the car to recognize it is in park, and the longer it takes to get the key out. What is wrong? And what can I do?
BRUCE HUNT
I would say that the locking mechanism on the steering column needs to be lubricated. It appears to drag with the cold weather.
CZY4HEELS
That may help and I will try that, but why does it take so long for the car to realize that it is in park?
BRUCE HUNT
I think it reconizes it is in park but the colder it gets the stickier the release gets. The signal to let the key go is there just as fast on a warm day as on a cold day.
+1
CHARLES SANTOS
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
  • 1,000,040 MILES
My key broke and half of the key is stuck in the key ignition what should I do?
WRENCHER1
You're probably going to have to get a locksmith involved. I believe these are programmed keys for the security system.
-1

Sponsored links