2003 Honda Accord loss of performance and fuel economy

2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 51000 miles

I had to have my car jump-started 3 weeks ago. Ever since, there has been a noticeable lack of power, loss of fuel economy, and it seems to idle around 500-600 rpm, lower than normal. When I jumped it, there was corrosion around the battery terminals, which I scraped off, and it hasnt needed a jump since. Could the corrosion be causing the performance issues?

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

To a certain degree, yes. But not entirely. The corrosion definitely is the problem why you need a jump start. Terminal corrosion to a battery is a cancer to a human body. Scraping helps, but it will come back. Here is what you should do. Treat the problem before it spreads.

If you have the EX model, find out what the anti-theft code to the radio. It is usually on the glove compartment, if you can't find it, call your "friendly" Honda technician for one. Or you can call 800-999-1009 and ask them for it. Have you VIN ready. If you have other models, disregard.

In a container(that you don't need anymore) make a solution of water and baking soda. Remove your battery terminals (one at a time) and soak the terminal into the solution. You will see bubbling, wait until it stops, and clean the terminal with a clean rag. You should have an almost brand new terminal now. Attach terminals back onto the battery. Once done, go to an auto part store and have your battery tested to make sure that the battery is still good. Depending on the condition of the battery, usually factory battery is good for about 3-4 years.

If you still have performance problem after that, then we'll trouble shoot more.

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 8:19 PM