1996 Honda Accord



June, 12, 2008 AT 1:26 PM

Transmission problem
1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I am trying to replace my VSS and I think I have found it but I can't figure out how to remove it. My manual says to just unplug it, unscrew it, replace and repeat. However it has this metal cap on top to which the 3 pin connector is firmly attached. The is also a little metal pipe running into the cap. How do you remove the metal cap and/or the plug so that i can get to the speed sensor. Thanks

1 Answer



June, 12, 2008 AT 2:07 PM

Hi mebayer,

This is not the VSS. It is the EGR valve.

The VSS is lower down. You can barely see it.
It is almost directly below the throttle body.
Take off the air cleaner hose and you would be able to locate it. You would need to remove 2 pcs of 10mm hex bolt and the wire connector.

Don't lose the centre pin while installing.

Please login or register to post a reply.

VSS Sensor Replacement Video
 Step by Step video GMC Yukon XL 2000-2006
How to read codes Chevrolet Blazer
Code Read Retrieval/Clear - Dodge Stratus
Code Read Retrieval/Clear Mercedes-Benz C230