ABS LIGHT

ADAME922
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
How can I turn off the abs light?
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 9:49 PM

F4I_GUY
By pulling the code, follow the proper diagnostic procedure for that code and repairing/replacing an item.

This video will help

https://youtu.be/Pb6nXV-iamI

Please run down this guide and report back.
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 6:14 PM
BARBARA STEWART
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
My abs warning light comes on after the car has been started. Sometime it stays on even during the operation of the car.
Monday, August 12th, 2019 AT 7:23 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

You will have to get a scan done to identify the set fault code, this will indicate where the problem lies, the ABS will be in op until this problem is rectified.

+1
STEVECARDIASMENOS
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Normally the antilock system brake light when car starts lights for a short time and turns off. This, I know is normal. Recently, after about a minute or so with the light off, even when the car is parked and running, the light turns on again and stays on. I noticed that I heard one single click sounding when the light first popped on and stayed on. After some searching, I located the single click coming from the ABS Pump Motor Relay located in the ABS "black box" along side with several fuses. I am 100% sure the click is coming from the relay when the light pops on.

Two questions: 1) Could the click indicate that the ABS pump motor relay is dead and needs replacing. Perhaps this is why the light comes on? Or, is the relay doing something that it is intended to do if another part is failing? Sorry. My ignorance about what a relay is meant to do. Should I replace the relay?
2) Can we use the car if the ABS light is on, until I find the cause? The brakes are still working normally. Correct?

Thanks for any info you can give.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Sounds like the relay is failing. You can test it by swapping it out with another relay of same size. If it still clicks then there is something else in the ABS wrong. If the ABS warning light is on then you can have the vehicle scanned with a diagnostic scanner. This will help pinpoint if it is a switch, relay, leak, and other issues that can be tricky to find.

Yes, you can still drive the vehicle and the brake system will still work fine. The anti-lock/traction control is the only thing that may or may not work, so please keep this in mind while driving. Without the ABS, your vehicle will skid much further during extreme quick braking if needed to prevent accident.
BRUCE HUNT
ABS was an optional feature on the car of that vintage and there are an awful lot of the them running around without ABS. Not a big issue.
+1
LCHSPATRIOT
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Well, I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX 2.2L Vtech and recently my ABS light came on. I used a jumper wire to check the code for the ABS and it reads out 1.3 (one then a pause then three) I can hear noise coming from the abs modulator like the motor or something is trying to turn on repeatedly like it will make the sound. Stop, then make it again and again. I am not sure if this is a seperate issue but once the ABS light does come on (it does not come on right away but after a few minutes of driving and it trying to turn on or something) I hear a sound front the front right wheel. Also I thought I smelt buring of something in that area, Maybe I have three seperate problems but I am just wondering what it sounds like. Also, a bit of extra information about a month ago or so We replaced the rear brakes and rear rotors and the front brakes. Stupidly we did not bleed to brakes or clamp the lines when doing this so to get the caliper to compress we used a caliper compressor. Once again maybe that has nothing to do with it but I'd rather not leave any information out.
BRUCE HUNT
I would suggest checking each of the ABS wheel speed sensors. Each wheel has one and using an ohm meter check for resistance. All of them should be very similar in reading. If they are then it is another issue but if one of them is 0 or way out of whack from the others, it will need to be replaced. They are spendy little things at around $150 each.
+1
REEFSIDE
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Replaced speed sensor, symptoms included transmission erratic, speedometer not working, loss of ABS, Brake light on and tachometer bouncing. These were documented symptons on line.

Now ABS light is back on and hearing a motor run periodically while driving. Mechanic cleaned the egr & replaced gasket, replaced the master cylinder and now wants to replace the fuel rail and clean the intake due to carbon build up due to a check engine light code.

Need to get the ABS problem fixed without throwing money at items that are not really required. Any suggestions of what is really needed, spent alot of money this week already.
KHLOW2008
Hi reefside,

The problem seems to be a faulty ABS master pump. It should be leaking internally resulting in pressure loss and the ABS light illuminating. Get a scan done to confirm the code.
203WINNERCHICKENDINNER
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
My abs light on the dash stays on, I start my car and the light is NOT on for about ten seconds and then it turns on and stays on what could this be? Thanks.
Monday, August 12th, 2019 AT 7:24 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

A fault has been detected in the ABS system (often a faulty wheel speed sensor) you will need to get a scan done to identify the exact problem, start here.

GUMP
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
Old commuter car I'd like to keep running! My 92 accord had the E-brake light come on the other day. It has happened a couple of times since and sometimes is accompanied by the amber ABS light. Checked the fluid level and it looks fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

KHLOW2008
Hi Gump,

It could be the park brake switch or its wire that is shorting.

Another possibility is the brake fluid reservoir level reed switch that is faulty. Unplug the wire connector and test if the light persists.
MHELLER91
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD
I was recently driving in some bad snow, I came home and shut off my car. Then later that night when I tried to start it the Battery and ABS light turned on and they stay on. I have left the car sitting, and tried to start it again to see if it went away, and the lights are still on. It doesn't seem like the car is dying or anything but I am not sure.

Another problem I am having is that my car wheel shakes at all speeds, like it is pulling or something. I think it may be a deformed tire or something, but I am not sure. The shaking occurs after the car has been driven for a half mile or so.

Also, a few days before I replaced the stock radio with a new one, and it works fine. A few months back when I first got the car, I replaced the alternator because I thought it was going bad. Turned out it was just a battery. So I replaced the alternator from a junked accord of the same year, so I am not sure if this old alternator is going bad or what.

Any suggestions?
KHLOW2008
HAve the charging rate tested. A DVOM would be able to provide you some basic testing. With engine running, connect the DVOM across the battery terminals and if it is not between 13.5 to 14.5 v, the alternator is not charging and could be bad.

The shaking could be due to worn steering linkages, bad tires, rims or worn control arm bushes.
-1
REHEIDT
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
The ABS light started coming on intermittently this morning. While it on the radio has a popping sound. What are possible problems?
KHLOW2008
Hi reheidt,

Thank you for the donation.

You need to retrieve the Diagnostic Error Code to know what is wrong.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SCS95Accord_2.jpg

Connect the SCS with a jumper wire, tun ignition switch on and coult the blinking of the ABS indicator light and let me know what you get.

Flashes would be n 2 digit. eg. blink blink short pause blink , (long pause before next code ). Codes would stop flashing after it finishes with stored codes and would not cycle. You need to turn ignition off and back on to repeat the flashing.
+1
267NAN
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
ABS light comes on after 30 sec or so of embarrassing buzzing. I have been told by the dealer it will be 1589.80 to replace ABS Modulator and Accumulator.
I don't want to spend the money, but I also don't want to put up with the buzzing noise every time I start my car. I love this car and want to keep. How can I get rid of the buzzing?
BMRFIXIT
Try used parts
it will be less money