NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

1991 Honda Accord

dkyle_20

June, 19, 2008 AT 12:18 AM

1991 Honda Accord 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

when I bought this car it had 250452 miles on the odometer. The speedometer didn't work and the transmission would get stuck in 2nd gear unless you started in first and manually shifted into drive. I bought another transmission, had it put in and now it shifts, but the check engine light comes on after about 15 mins. Of driving, and the green S light in the instrument panel flashes also. When this occurs the car feels sluggish, and runs poorer then when not on. And the speedometer occasionally will work momentarily! Thanks a lot

mhpautos

June, 19, 2008 AT 5:14 AM

Hi there,

The first thing that you have to do is get a scan done to see what codes are set, do this first.

June, 19, 2008 AT 10:03 AM

Hi dkyle_20,

The speed sensor should be out if the speedometer is erractic and works intermittently. The Check engine light would illuminate and Sports mode light would be flashing.

The trans is controlled by a TCM and if it is not getting the correct signal from the speed sensor, it would not perform accurately.

Get the speedometer working and you most probably have solved the problem.