2003 GMC Sierra Changeing heater core

BACKJACK
  • 2003 GMC SIERRA
Heater problem
2003 GMC Sierra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Can you change the heater core on 2003 Sierra through the firewall or do you need to pull the dash
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:23 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
You have to remove the HVAC module to replace the heater core, to do this you will have to remove the instrument panel
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 8:28 PM
BACKJACK
I guess that helps, but not something I wanted to hear, most people I talked with said that is about 9 hrs worth of time. You even need to drop the steering column so I am told. I have no water leaking in the cab, when it does leak it is off the metal plate on the firewall, just to the right of the glove box(looking from the front of the truck). The metal plate is attched to the firewall with 4 bolts, that is why I asked if I could access the core from that spot
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 9:20 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yep it's not a small task for sure. I can give you the step by step replacement procedure if you think it will help any?
+1
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 9:23 PM
BACKJACK
Maybe better off to pay to have this fixed($800.00) ouch. Had one man tell me to use liquid glas to seal the leak, not sure about that either, just rebuilt the body on this truck
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 9:28 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Nah don't know about that one either. If you dont use the heater or at least wont be using for a while you could always bypass the heater core. Just takes a few mins and about $10 worth of stuff. It will fix the leak but will disable heat.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 9:30 PM