DASH BRAKE LIGHT ON

1990 GMC Sierra

Zipdaddy

May, 8, 2008 AT 10:17 AM

Brakes problem
1990 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 101000 miles

Had front brake job done, including new lines. Next day light comes on. How do I reset switch. Already did computer/battery disconnect to no avail.
Thanks in advance
Zip.

merlin2021

May, 8, 2008 AT 2:39 PM

Which light came on? Red brake light? ABS? Both? Or service engine?

Zipdaddy

May, 8, 2008 AT 5:07 PM

The only light on is the red brake light. It is on constantly. I don't believe this truck even has ABS, but not sure. I really think it's the same light that comes on when a brake line " blows", sending the switch to one side or the other. The key is it came on right after front brake lines were replaced.

merlin2021

May, 9, 2008 AT 2:58 AM

Check the fluid level in the master, and check the parking brake lever switch. If they are ok, check for any leaks, and that DOT 3 brake fluid is the only thing that was added! You can tell if the rubber has swelled on the master cyl, cap!

Zipdaddy

May, 10, 2008 AT 9:59 AM

PLEASE, are you reading my question thoroughly? I've already checked all the items you've mentioned. No leaks, parking brake switch OK, master full. OH, I have checked and found that the light DOES get slightly brighter when P-brake is applied. Hmmm.
Thanks again
Zip

merlin2021

May, 10, 2008 AT 10:35 AM

If all these where checked, it's possible the proportioning valve is stuck off center, jack up the rear of the truck press brake pedal, do the rear brakes hold? The other thing to do is grab an assistant to help bleed the front calipers, you will need to press and hold the button on the front of the prop valve while you bleed it. Sorry about the confusion!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Combi_valve_1.jpg

Zipdaddy

May, 10, 2008 AT 11:06 AM

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. I was just heading outside to bleed the prop. Valve when I got your reply. I'll let you know how it works out.
Zip

merlin2021

May, 10, 2008 AT 12:06 PM

OK

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear