2000 GMC JIMMY ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

• Ez1969
  • 2000 GMC JIMMY

I've recently began have issues with my Jimmy. It first appeared whan I lost all power the was diagnosed as a bad battery cable. That was replaced and the next day the battery was low so I jumped the truck to get it running. Installed a new battery. The next time I went to start it the battery was fine and truck wouldn't start. That was diag as a bad starter. I replaced the starter yesterday and everything seemed fine about twenty minutes when I went back outside I heard a loud clicking that sounded like the starter soliniod engaging over and over. This is probably what burned out the starter and drained the battery in the first place. Could this be a bad ignition switch or bad relay? Or worse?

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 10:06 AM

• Service Writer

You said:
"The next time I went to start it the battery was fine and truck wouldn't start. That was diag as a bad starter. &Quot;

Was it the engine turning over (cranking), just not starting?

Or was it doing nothing when the key was turned?

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 11:09 AM
  • Ez1969

I wouldn't crank.

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 12:09 PM
  • Ez1969

Oh, and I just changed the relay. The starter keeps trying to engage.

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 12:11 PM
  • Ez1969

OK, now I'm totaly lost. I've replaced the ignition switch and about twenty minutes later the starter is clicking away and it seems to be shorting out the whole electrical system. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 6:04 PM
  • Jimmrocket3

I've seen the same problem, even after a new starter, battery and alternator. Ended up finding fuse 19 to be the culprit, but I am stuck at that. Next to that I'm just as frustrated as yourself.

Sunday, December 2nd, 2007 AT 9:20 AM