CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

2006 GMC Envoy

tarshadee

November, 12, 2009 AT 3:33 PM

2006 GMC Envoy 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

I own a 2006 GMC Envoy and the theck engine light came on. I took it to a repair shop to have diagnostic on it. They hooked up a computer to my car and came back with a code of p0014 which also states that there an issue with the camshaft positon sensor, and that was something that he was not qualified to work on. He stated that I would have to take the car to the dealer. Before doing so I wanted a little more clarification as to what it all meant and if this would be a costly repair to me. I just would like to have an average repair cost.

Cam Sensor

brian 1

November, 12, 2009 AT 6:30 PM

The cam phaser acuators go bad on these all the time, very common. Here is what it does, The cam phasing system is a hydraulically actuated phase shifting mechanism. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies the ignition positive driver and ground circuits. A pulse width modulated (PWM) driver controls the amount that the camshaft actuator solenoid assembly advances or retards the exhaust camshaft. The exhaust camshaft is commanded to a maximum retard position of 25 degrees. When the exhaust camshaft is retarded at the maximum rate, the duty cycle of the signal is at 100 percent. The maximum advance rate has a 0 percent duty cycle. Other than when the camshaft is at full advance, a 50 percent duty cycle is used to maintain a steady retard angle. Price wise to replace would be about $150.00. There not real hard to change there located behind the power steering pump bolted to the side of the cylinder head.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015