SIERRA 2500 HD 4X4 GRINDING SOUND

2012 GMC C2500

firecheese

February, 13, 2007 AT 7:05 PM

MY 02 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD 4X4 HAS 65000 MILES AND 6.0 LITRE ENGINE. WHEN I PUT MY TRUCK INTO 4HI TUESDAY AM IT STARTED A GRINDING/GROWLING SOUND, AND DID NOT OPERATE WELL. I WENT BACK TO 2HI AND IT DID NOT GO OUT OF 4HI LIKE IT USUALLY DOES. LAST WEEK I FORGOT TO TAKE IT OUT OF 4HI WHEN I GOT TO A MAIN ROAD THAT WAS DRY, THE TRUCK STARTED MAKING THE GRINDING SOUND AND ACTUALLY CAME TO A STOP, I PUT IT INTO 2HI AND IT WAS FINE. WHAT DID I DO TO MY TRUCK? IS IT GOING TO BE COSTLY? HELP, MY TRUCK IS MY SECOND INCOME AND I AM BROKE WITHOUT IT!

mathiaso

February, 13, 2007 AT 9:49 PM

Have the transfer case check.
It's not good to operate in 4WD when driving on dry surface. The push-pull action may have cause the transfer case to make noise.
It's could be transfer case's bearings damage.

firecheese

February, 14, 2007 AT 1:35 PM

Thanks for the info, is that typically an expensive fix and how long would it take to repair usually. Should I have a transmission shop repair or can I take it to my normal mechanic who has the knowledge? What do you reccommend?

mathiaso

February, 15, 2007 AT 10:24 AM

Take it to a mechanic who has the knowledge.
Just have him diagnose the transfer case first and find out if we come to same conclusion.

firecheese

February, 15, 2007 AT 8:02 PM

Thanks for the info, I took it in and it was diagnosed as having the pinion and pinion bearings damaged causing damage to the front differential gears. A complete rebuild of the front differential and $1400.00 later(most of which is labor, nothings easy right?) And a week later I may have my truck in 4 wheel drive again. He did say that the transfer case appears to be fine with no damage. Thanks again for the advice.

mathiaso

February, 16, 2007 AT 9:49 AM

Sorry about this. At least you will get your car back and running good soon.
Let us know how your car is running when you get it back.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Axle Replacement
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma