OIL FILTER HOUSING REMOVAL

1994 GMC C2500

nosneh35

July, 27, 2009 AT 5:31 PM

1994 GMC C2500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

Question concerns a 1994 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 5.7L with an automatic transmission:
OIL FILTER HOUSING REMOVAL
So far I have:
1. Removed the 2 hoses that were connected to the housing
2. Removed the oil filter
I am now looking at the housing but not 100% sure on how to remove it -- do I just have to turn it counterclockwise for it to fall out? -- Or are there other steps - there is a threaded shaft in the center.

Also is there a good site to buy a new replacement housing - and are all the needed gaskets, O-rings, etc, included with the purchase of a new replacement housing?
aeiou1953@yahoo. Com

Oil Filter Housing Cracked

Oil Filter Housing

1 IMAGE

racefan966

July, 28, 2009 AT 9:51 AM

Ok on that filter adapter for the engine oil cooler there should be two bolts that hold it to the block. Those two bolts get removed and it then should pull down. If you do not see an bolts then if you can include a pic of it as you see it. Let me know how it goes. I have included a pic to help. It has the bolt labeled as number 9 that holds it on to the block. Hope this helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_960226TC01037_1.jpg

nosneh35

July, 29, 2009 AT 8:25 AM

There are absolutely NO BOLTS in that area _ I wish there were.
There has to be an OIL FILTER MOUNTING that SCREWS into the block. I'm just afraid to start cracking it counterclockwise -- since there may be some preliminary steps.
Apologize don't have a picture.
I'm looking up at the inside of the housing - I see the threaded cylinder in the center of the unit to which the oil filter screws on.
Vehicle-- 1994 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 5.7L automatic transmission 2WD
There has to be 2 types of housing: 1. Bolted on
2. Screw on - on my truck
Karl
aeiou1953@yahoo. Com

racefan966

July, 29, 2009 AT 9:53 AM

Ok is this what yours looks like? Does the thread for the oil filter have a hex on it where is seats the adapter? Let me know thanks.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_repairs073_1.jpg

nosneh35

July, 29, 2009 AT 1:02 PM

There does seem to be a HEX cut on the INSIDE of the oil filter thread -- does this require a special tool?
SUPPLEMENTAL INFO: Part # GM 14088854
Unit is 3.25 inches - Top to Bottom
I think the thread into the block is 13/16ths? - Not 100% sure
The 2 hoses come in PARALLEL to the ground
The oil filter comes in PERPENDICULAR to the ground
Unit tightly fitted next to oil pan-location of the 2 hose fittings on the unit
On each side of the oil filter thread - is something I would call a cap
Apologize no photo - -picture = a 1000 words!
Karl
aeiou1953@yahoo. Com

racefan966

July, 30, 2009 AT 10:02 AM

Ok if you would get me the last 8 of the vin so I can run these to see if I can see what type of adapter you have as there is many different types for GM. Does it look like either pic I sent? I am showing that two allen head bolts hold this adapter in place? I will run the part number and see what I can find. Get back to me with what you find on your end with the vin number and such. Thanks.

nosneh35

July, 30, 2009 AT 2:17 PM

VIN #: 2GTFC29K1 R1566834
Get back shortly concerning the 2 allen head bolts

Thanks,
Karl
aeiou1953@yahoo. Com

racefan966

July, 30, 2009 AT 7:53 PM

Ok after running you vin number not only did I find out you truck was made in Canada but I have a pic to look at to see what you are dealing with. Now with that said once the filter is removed you have the tread that holds the filter on which will come out but not needed. On both sides of that is a bolt either with a hex or allen head on them once those are removed the filter adapter comes off. Let me know how it goes.

nosneh35

July, 31, 2009 AT 9:32 AM

Thanks - got it removed
Those 2 things I called " metal caps" just happened to be ALLEN HEADS - with the right key the housing dropped out like butter.
Going to take it to the local garage for replacement.
Noticed a rubber red gasket on the engine block were the housing mates - I am going to assume that it needs to be removed and replaced

Again - Thanks for all your help!
Karl
aeiou1953@yahoo. Com

racefan966

July, 31, 2009 AT 9:44 AM

No problem thanks for being patient as it is much harder to do this online because you don't have the car there to look at so you go by memory and Mitchel 1. Again thanks and have a great day.

Air Filter Replacement Acura TL
Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue 2002-2007
Air Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015