APPLICATIONS

1972 GMC C2500

joetob1

May, 5, 2010 AT 10:54 PM

1972 GMC C2500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 67,000 miles

I would like to replace the granny gear tranny with something that has a better ratio such as a 5 speed or 4 speed. What other transmissions would work from other truck/cars that would work better. Right now I have about almost 400 horses under the hood 350 with a I think muncie 4 speed with low gear. I have 411 gears in rear and am changing to 14 bolt axle with 342 gears. Would it be wise to keep the tranny I got now with the 14 bolt or upgrade to something more geared for the high way and not so much for towing. I was once told a 5 speed tranny from a chevy truck might fit but need a definite answer.

hmac300

May, 21, 2010 AT 5:48 PM

You would be able to go to a 4 speed saginaw with not much problem. A 5 speed may fit, but on both of the transmissions you may have to change your clutch to match. As the input shafts may be different. I know the 5 speed is for sure.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Air Filter Replacement
Ignition System Test Guide
Air Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma V6
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Serpentine Belt Replacement