SPEEDOMETER CABLE "SQUEAK"

1998 Geo Tracker

Kateloves29

December, 8, 2007 AT 5:09 PM

Other Category problem
1998 Geo Tracker 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 63,700 miles

My 1998 Chevy Tracker (your Chevy drop-down doesn't list Tracker, so had to click on Geo) has developed a really annoying sqeak-type noise right behind the dash panel. Even though I'm a girl, I know its the speedo cable because it gets more intense the faster I go and stops when the car isn't moving. I've traced the cable but can't access it to lubricate it behind the dash panel, even with my small hands. Do I have to drop the whole steering column and dash panel to lubricate the speedo cable? Seems as though there should be an easier way than that! Can somebody tell me how to lubricate the cable, or must I start driving with earplugs? So far, it doesn't seem to be affecting the actual performance of the speedometer. No bouncing or anything. Its ust that blasted noise! I'd appreciate any help, if I have to break a nail, so be it! Kate

scay8

November, 1, 2008 AT 1:53 AM

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2008 AT 2:14 AM

Might need to remove the gauge cluster to better access the speedometer cable.

scay8

November, 1, 2008 AT 2:29 AM

If I knew that much about cars my friend I d b mechanic: D. Im just tryin2figure out if I can fix it or have 2 replace it. Thanks for help btw. Scay

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2008 AT 2:46 AM

Well if it is just squeking and your gauge is still working properly than all you need to do is lubricate it. If your speedometer is not working properly and you hear the noise then it will need to be replaced.

scay8

November, 1, 2008 AT 2:59 AM

Speedometer working fine. As Katie said as I speed, noise gets higher. Any way u can try2explain it the way i(an ignorant man for fixin cars)can understand how 2 lubricate please?

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Open Hood Video
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro