Hi and thanks for using 2CarPros.
The condenser in the distributor is a sponge for electricity. You need to have that in the distributor. Have you replaced it?
Here are directions for taking the distributor apart. What I suggest is to replace the condenser if you haven't, and make sure none of the wires are shorted in it. Often times, a wire will break internally from constant movement. Take a look through these directions and confirm everything looks good.
DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY
see pic 1
1. REMOVE DISTRIBUTOR CAP.
- Remove the 3 bolts and distributor cap.
2. REMOVE ROTOR.
3. REMOVE IGNITION COIL DUST COVER.
- Remove the dust cover.
- Remove the gasket.
4. REMOVE IGNITION COIL.
See picture 2
- Remove the 2 nuts, and disconnect the 4 wires from the ignition coil terminals.
See picture 3
- Remove the 4 screws and ignition coil.
5. REMOVE IGNITER.
See pic 4
- Remove the 3 screws, and disconnect the 3 wires from the igniter terminals.
See picture 5
- Remove the 2 screws and igniter.
6. REMOVE CORD CLAMP AND DISTRIBUTOR WIRE.
See picture 6
- Disconnect the 2 connectors from the cord clamp.
See picture 7
- Remove the screw and cord clamp.
See picture 8
- Remove the distributor wire from the distributor housing.
7. REMOVE CONDENSER.
See picture 9
- Remove the screw and condenser.
1. INSPECT SHAFT.
See picture 10
- Turn the shaft and check that it is not rough or worn.
- If it feels rough or worn, replace the distributor during assembly.
1. INSTALL CONDENSER.
- Install the condenser with the screw.
2. INSTALL DISTRIBUTOR WIRE AND CORD CLAMP
- Install the grommet of the wire to the distributor housing.
- Install the cord clamp with the screw.
- Install the 2 connectors to the cord clamp.
3. INSTALL IGNITER.
- Install the igniter with the 2 screws.
See picture 11
- Connect the 3 wires to the igniter terminals with the 3 screws.
4. INSTALL IGNITION COIL.
- Remove any old packing (FIPG) material.
See picture 12
- Apply seal packing to the ignition coil installing surface of the housing as shown in the illustration.
- Seal packing: Part No. 08826-00080 or equivalent
- Install the ignition coil with the 4 screws.
See picture 13
- Connect the 4 wires to the ignition coil terminals with the 2 nuts as shown in the illustration.
See picture 14
- When connecting the wires to the ignition coil, insert both properly into their grooves found on the side of the ignition coil.
- Be sure the wires do not contact with signal rotor or distributor housing.
5. INSTALL IGNITION COIL DUST COVER.
See picture 15
- Install a new gasket to the distributor housing.
- Install the dust cover.
6. INSTALL ROTOR.
7. INSTALL DISTRIBUTOR CAP.
- Install the distributor cap with the 3 bolts.
Let me know if this helps. Again, without the condenser, you will end up causing other components to fail.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Sunday, January 13th, 2019 AT 3:13 PM