Front brakes locked up after driving about 15 minutes in town

BRITANYSHERMAN
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
My front brakes are locking to the point that they are smoking it seems like after the truck has been running around town for 15 min the brake paddle gets really hard but will still stop but the brakes are rubbing on the calipers so bad that if I let off the gas the car will come to a complete stop after about 20 feet depending on how fast I am going we have replaced the calipers front brakes back brakes steering knuckle on passenger side we are at a loss for what it could be there are no lights like the engine or the abs please help also when the brakes are locked the porportioning valve has like a little nipple that is stuck out and when the brakes are unklocked it moves in and out as you push on the brake and release
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 3:06 PM

You really need some punctuation in that huge sentence. It's hard to make sense of what you wrote, but I can figure out the brakes are locking up. The next time this happens, loosen the line nuts on the master cylinder. If that lets the brakes release, the brake light switch is misadjusted and is holding the brake pedal down a little or the brake fluid has been contaminated with a petroleum product like engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, or axle grease. If the brakes don't release, work your way down to the next connection and loosen that one. Keep working your way down toward the caliper until you find the point at which the brake will release.
-2
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 4:46 PM
BRITANYSHERMAN
Sorry when I'm using my phone I type to fast. I can loosen any of the bolts and it release the pressure and the proportioning valve metering needle retracts then its fine for another 15 minutes or so and then it lock's again. Could the brake booster be causing the metering needle to stay out? Or is that the proportioning valve going out?
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:10 PM
Nope. The proportioning valve is just an often-overlooked symptom or clue, not the cause. Look at the rubber bladder seals under the reservoir caps. If they're blown up and mushy, the brake fluid is contaminated. We'll have to discuss that further, but right now I'm up against a dying laptop battery. Thanks to a major house fire, I'm sitting in the library parking lot using their wireless internet. I'll be back this time tomorrow, or sooner.
+2
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:29 PM
BRITANYSHERMAN
Ok so I checked and nothing seems to be wrong with under the reservoir cap. I let the pressure out of the line and drove the truck to the store and back and by the time I got to my house the brakes were locking up already.
-2
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:46 PM
BRITANYSHERMAN
And Thank you for the help
-1
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:47 PM
You loosened the steel lines at the master cylinder and the brakes released? Rats. Now when the brakes lock up, loosen the two nuts that hold the master cylinder to the power booster. Pull the master cylinder forward about 1/8". If the brakes release, check the brake light switch adjustment. If they don't release, suspect contaminated brake fluid.
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 7:10 PM