Front brakes locked up after driving about 15 minutes

BRITANYSHERMAN
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
My front brakes are locking to the point that they are smoking it seems like after the truck has been running around town for 15 min the brake pedal gets really hard but will still stop but the brakes are rubbing on the calipers so bad that if I let off the gas the car will come to a complete stop after about 20 feet depending on how fast I am going.

We have replaced the calipers front brakes back brakes steering knuckle on passenger side we are at a loss for what it could be there are no lights like the engine or the abs please help also when the brakes are locked the proportioning valve has like a little nipple that is stuck out and when the brakes are unlocked it moves in and out as you push on the brake and release. Please help
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 3:06 PM

The next time this happens, loosen the line nuts on the master cylinder. If that lets the brakes release, the booster push rod is misadjusted and is holding the brake pedal down a little not allowing the pressure to be released inside the brake master.
+3
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 4:46 PM
BRITANYSHERMAN
I can loosen any of the bolts and it release the pressure and the proportioning valve metering needle retracts then its fine for another 15 minutes or so and then it lock's again. Could the brake booster be causing the metering needle to stay out? Or is that the proportioning valve going out?
+1
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:10 PM
The proportioning valve is just an often-overlooked symptom or clue, not the cause. Look at the rubber bladder seals under the reservoir caps. If they're blown up and mushy, the brake fluid is contaminated. Can you move the booster push rod adjustment inward?
+5
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:29 PM
BRITANYSHERMAN
Ok so I checked and nothing seems to be wrong with under the reservoir cap. I let the pressure out of the line and drove the truck to the store and back and by the time I got to my house the brakes were locking up already. So I removed the brake master and found the rod you were talking about and gave it 4 turns inward now the brakes work great! Thanks fo the help I love this site.
+4
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 5:46 PM
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers
+4
Friday, October 24th, 2014 AT 7:10 PM