Front brakes

KEN PRINCE
  • 1998 MAZDA 323
Trying to change front brake pads, all instructions seem to say the same thing that the caliper is on a "hinge" and just lift up and change the pads, however, this model you can hinge up but cannot get at the pads as they are held in place by two long pins, do I have to disassemble the caliper or can I remove the pins? If so how please? Any help would be good as I am down to metal now.
ken
Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 7:24 AM

As I recall, there is a formed wire retaining pin in each of those pins you are referring to. Pull the wire pin out, then pull the large pin out. Those large pins often stick due to rust. You may need to grab it with a vise-grip pliers, then pound on that.

On some models the pads can just be lifted up through the hole in the center of the top of the caliper assembly. On others, the pads drop out the bottom, so the caliper has to be lifted off the rotor.

Be aware there is a real lot more to a brake job than slapping in new pads. There are things professionals do to prevent noises and vibrations from occurring, and there are many things do-it-yourselfers often do that cause those problems. I can address those things if you want me to when you get the old pads out.
Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 1:41 PM
KEN PRINCE
Will try that. Many thanks.
Thursday, December 29th, 2016 AT 2:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Have the rotors refinished this puts a new surface on them removes hot spots and trues the rotors. Also get some sea foam brand called deep creep. It's pentrent I use to free up rotors and caliper pins that are rusted
Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 8:52 AM
SATURNTECH9
Also use a good quality brake pad I use the centric possi quiet brake pads in the red box I use to put them on sheriff SUV detective cars park ranger etc vechiles. Also use them on my car and all the brake jobs I do.
Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 8:56 AM