CODES HELP?

Ford Windstar

superbeef1000

I have a 2002 ford mutang gt with the 4.6 sohc
and the it is now giving me 2 codes p1000 and p0340
the first one means testing not compleet the second is a camshaft position sensor circut fault I changed the sensor and reset the computer and the check engine lite came rite back on with the sam problem the car is rumbling or haveing small back fires through the intake and exuast sometimes not starting when cranked then it is loosing power and chuging while driving can some one help??

Timing

Indyuke

Have you checked the wiring in between the camshaft sensor and the computer to see if it has been comprimised? Let us know.

superbeef1000

January, 26, 2007 AT 12:14 AM

Yeh I have done the visual inspection and wiggled all the wires I could find and still nothing

Indyuke

Are you able to plug a scan tool into the cars computer and see if you can get a data stream from the sensor? It might not be picking up a signal.

superbeef1000

No I dont have that type of equipment just a superchips tunner it only gives me the codes
? Do you think if my altinator was shorting out it could be causing this problem? I am seing that I have a bearing or somthing going out in the altinator

Indyuke

I don't think the alternator bearings going bad would cause the problem you describe.

I would somehow double check to see if the sensor is communicating with the computer effectively. Sometimes a position sensor (often wheel speed sensors for ABS) won't be positioned just right or close enough to pick up a signal.

superbeef1000

Well I tested the wires with a multi tester after replacing the sensor and I have dead wires, so signal going to or from the sensor the car is starting to idal realy bad like the iac is going out now I wonder if I got a bad computer

TaurusWheel

Did you use a factory service manual for the procedure to test the circuits? Ford pcm units are extremely reliable, failures are not common. Of course following the steps for diagnosing the issue sometimes results in the determination that it is the pcm, not often though. Don't be spending needless $$$, take it to a reliable shop versed in diagnostics, if it happens to be the Ford dealer, so be it

superbeef1000

January, 29, 2007 AT 7:58 AM

Yeh I will be taking it to ford some time this week if I geta chance $120 for the scan
i will be sure to post the results
thanks for you help in any case

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015