ALTERNATOR

1976 Ford Torino

dccoleman5

April, 17, 2009 AT 9:06 AM

1976 Ford Torino V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

76 ford torino

it is burning up alternators. Initially seems to work intermittenly then completely burns up

My question is this: could it be a result of not having a dash instrument cluster connected (because no indicator light connected) if so, is there any way to fix it without the instrument cluster? (Mine is pretty much destroyed) I bought a replacement cluster, but it was a little different and the wiring apparently is not the same. Since most of the gauges do not work when I connect it

if not the gauge cluster. Do you have any other ideas?

thank you for your help

chandler coleman

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

racefan966

April, 17, 2009 AT 11:10 AM

Ok I am trying to find some wiring diagrams for your car so I can answer the question at hand. I do need to know what color the gromet is at the module on the fender. Get back to me and hopefully I will find a wiring diagram to answer you question too.

dccoleman5

April, 17, 2009 AT 12:29 PM

What module which fender?

racefan966

April, 18, 2009 AT 9:43 AM

This module on drivers fender.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_51082_1.jpg

dccoleman5

April, 20, 2009 AT 7:04 AM

I apologize for my lack of expertise in that particular area. But the module looks exactly like that one. Not really sure what you mean by the gromet. But please don't give up on me. I really do appreciate the help and would really like to figure this thing out. I do have a volt meter. If that would help us at all

dccoleman5

April, 21, 2009 AT 8:57 AM

Any luck with the wiring diagram?

racefan966

April, 21, 2009 AT 10:11 AM

Ok no wiring diagram that I can load up for you but here is how it goes ok. Now I think that most of your problems may be the I term from the regulator I will include a pic of the regulator ok. Here is what each wire does so you make sure they are all in the right place ok.
I term- Green wire with red stripe goes to the charge light.
A term- yellow wire with white dotted stripe tied into the battery cable.
S term - white wire with black stripe goes to the alternator stator or S term on back of alt.
F term - orange wire with light blue stripe alternator field on back of alternator.
So these are the letters on the alternator regulator on the fender or next to the radiator and so you need to check to see that they are all in the right spot ok. Let me know what you find here. I am also digging to find out how important that I term for the charge light is to the working of the alternator. I will get back to you on that after you let me know how all the wiring is ok. Here is the regulator also if this maybe bad too. So far the best I can tell that charge wire has to be hooked up too inorder to work right.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_51170_1.jpg

dccoleman5

April, 21, 2009 AT 11:02 AM

Ok. All wires are connected to their correct corresponding locations. The regulator is actually fairly new, I replaced it not too long ago while after replacing the first two alternators. I cleaned the connections while I was checking the wires as well. Also, not sure if it is worth mentioning but there are two yellow wires coming out of the A terminal, one tied in with battery as you described and the other is connected to cylinder shaped device located directly beneath the regulator

now for the bad news. I think I may have screwed something up while checking the wires. Accidentally created a very very brief spark on the back of the alternator with the stator wire and now the alternator is charging between 15.8 and 16 and if I remember correctly. That's a little high. Man i'm an idiot (metal screwdriver)

racefan966

April, 22, 2009 AT 10:16 AM

Ok don't sweat it yet the alternator should still be under warranty if its charging to much. OK so what I need you do is hook you volt meter up and disconnect the regulator and see what it does. I should not charge it should just show battery voltage. What regulator do you have is it the solid state one in the pic or is it the old point style? Get back to me with what you find and we will go from there.

dccoleman5

April, 22, 2009 AT 2:34 PM

Ok, the regulator is the same as in the pic. I actually already replaced the alternator and regulator. With regulator connected it reads 13.5. Disconnected it reads about 12.3 (atlernator not charging) in the past this was pretty much the same until the alternator prett much burned up and quit working. It seems to be charging and I can drive it all day until it rains and I have to use the wipers or at night when I have to turn the lights on. There is another issue that i'm not sure is related but I suppose I should go ahead and mention it. After driving the car for while and it is good and warm, if I turn the car off and then try to start it back up the engine turns over very slowly as if the battery is drained. Never had a volt meter on me when it happened so I don't know if the battery was weak or if there is something wrong with the engine that makes it harder to turn over when warm and that in itself drains the battery. What role does the starter play in the charging system? . Do you have any idea where I could find a wiring diagram for the wires going to the instrument cluster so I could attempt to trace those wires out and hook up the gauges individually?. And have you found out anything about the alt indicator light?

dccoleman5

April, 22, 2009 AT 2:38 PM

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Serpentine Belt Replacement